Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2020

Beauty and the Beast, Dylan Thomas poem, Love and Hope in 2021 by Kaye Spencer #poems #80stelevision #dylanthomas #prairierosepubs


This is my eighth, and last, article in a series about my favorite poems. Click on the poem’s titles to read the previous seven.


Beauty and the Beast was a tragically short-lived television series—1987-1990—starring Ron Perlman as Vincent and Linda Hamilton as Catherine Chandler.


I was so obsessed with this show that when Catherine died in the episode “Though Lovers Be Lost”, I was inconsolable. I cried so hard that my three young children, who didn’t understand my grief, were scared I’d not recover.

Consequently, I’ve never watched another television series as it aired. I have a few DVD sets of older television shows, but that’s as emotionally invested as I can muster. I watch shows and movies just like I read books. If I don’t know how it ends going in, I won’t watch or read it.

 

Catherine and Vincent

This isn’t a complete list, but along with quotes and passages from books, many worthy poems were recited, referenced, or quoted in the B & B series.

Ozymandias and I Arise from the Dreams of Thee by Percy Bysshe Shelly

Sonnets #CXVI and #XXIX by William Shakespeare

She Walks in Beauty by George Gordon, Lord Byron

Acquainted with the Night by Robert Frost

Somewhere I have Never Traveled by E. E. Cummings

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Remember by Christina Rosetti

This soundtrack of music and Ron Perlman reciting poetry, Love and Hope – Beauty and the Beast, is criminally over-priced on Amazon ($106.00 as of today). Listen to it on YouTube HERE.



The title of the B & B episode, “Though Lovers Be Lost”, is a line in Welsh poet and writer Dylan Thomas’ (1914-1953) poem And Death Shall have No Dominion. This poem was published in May 1933 in New England Weekly. The title, which is a recurring line/refrain is of Biblical origin.

Dylan Thomas courtesy Wikipedia
Attribution HERE

The poem illustrates that, while death ultimately has the last word so-to-speak, death doesn’t control everything. It can’t control our free will or, as Viktor Frankl wrote in Man’s Search for Meaning, ‘man’s will to meaning’, which is our determination to stand firm and resolute against the power of death so that we actually have the last word.

But that is another subject for another time.

These two lines from the poem—

Though lovers be lost, love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.

—serve as one of the themes in my western romance, The Comanchero’s Bride, as are Westley words to Buttercup. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”

 


Click HERE to read more about The Comanchero's Bride.

Thomas’ poem is a reminder that death can’t take the love that lives on in our hearts and in our memories when we lose someone dear, because love is stronger than death. Death comes to all living things, but it cannot stay. It cannot linger. (to paraphrase Dickens) It must move on, never settling, never resting, and always alone.

But love, love endures. Love is forever. Love remains. Love has a companion called hope. A person is never alone when she holds on to both. They are the heart’s shield that death cannot penetrate.

This article may feel like a downer of a way to end the year, but it’s not. Much like 2016 that began with the celebrity deaths of David Bowie and Alan Rickman and ended with the world losing Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, 2020 hasn’t played nicely in its own special ways but, through it all, we’re heading into 2021, just as we looked to 2017, with love and hope in our hearts that things will be better.

And they will be. They always are.

Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.


Apology: If you're reading this from your phone, you probably won't see the YouTube video of Richard Burton reciting Death Shall have No Dominion.

If you need a good cry, you can find Catherine’s death scene in on YouTube. After all these years, it’s still too close to my heart and too raw in my memory to revisit. L



My next Prairie Rose Publications’ book is an historical, romantic suspense novel scheduled for a February 10, 2021 release under the Fire Star Press imprint. The setting is Chicago 1929, specifically February 14th , and the title is Chicago Lightning.

Throughout January, I will blog on my website about Chicago Lightning and the related history of the Prohibition/Roaring Twenties era. I’ll post the articles on Facebook for your reading convenience.

See you in 2021,
Kaye Spencer

You can find Kaye in Cyberland here:

Facebook
Instagram
Blogging
Twitter


8 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed this blog series of poems that are near and dear to your heart, Kaye. Many of them are favorites of mine, too. When I get to my desktop, I will watch the clip of Richard Burton. I always loved him. Oh, I remember the series BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, too! That was wonderful--I watched it sporadically--kids, work, and life were taking over right then, as I recall, and I didn't watch a whole lot of tv for a few years. But when I get emotionally invested in a character, I can't stand to see them die!!!! That would make me pretty angry, as well as sad, to see it come to a final conclusion like that. Somewhere in my mind, I want to think that the characters I love are out there still carrying on somewhere, but when they're killed off, there is no illusion of that left. :((( I'm looking forward to Chicago Lightning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      It was difficult to find a stopping place on the poems, but it's time. Too much of a good thing often looses its luster.

      I read the first four Harry Potter novels and stopped when I realized Harry (and others) had to die in order to rid the world of Voldemort when he took him down. I didn't read another word in the series after that. I had invested in the Hogwarts world and characters, and I saw what was coming and it wasn't going to be pretty. I know how the story ends, and I'm glad I didn't stick it out and read all seven books. Ugh.

      I have much to share about Chicago Lightning in the coming weeks. See you in 2021!

      Delete
  2. Kaye, it's poetry so what is not to love. I'm also thrilled the Chicago book is coming. Yay!
    Like you, I want to know the ending and usually read it after the first three to five pages of a book. It doesn't spoil the story for my as some people have suggested. Instead it makes me want to take the journey to see how they get there. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris,

      Reading the ending (or watching/knowing the ending of a movie) doesn't spoil the story for me, either. I don't like surprises. I have to know how it ends, or I'm too worried about what's going to happen to enjoy the reading/watching. Once I know the ending, I can pay attention to the journey, as you said, and enjoy the experience.

      For me, spoilers are my friend. haha

      See you in 2021!

      Delete
  3. Well, Kaye, I did watch B&B series on TV, but I didn't get the last year of the series and missed that death scene. I'm kind of glad I missed it since it has affected you so much. I know they created a new B&B series and it's on Netflix, but I couldn't get interested in it.

    Considering what the year 2020 has dealt us, "And Death Shall Have No Dominion" might be most appropriate before we enter 2021.

    I'm going to miss your poem series on the blog, but I know you'll bring something very interesting to us.

    I hope your holidays are bringing plenty of joy. All the best to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Don't go by me and my reaction to "that" episode in the B&B series. I was entirely too emotionally invested in the show and the characters. When I say too invested, that means I have autographed pictures of Catherine and Vincent signed by Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman, life size poster of Vincent, Vincent Halloween mask, actors-signed script of one of the episodes, TV Guide articles, People Mag articles, t-shirts, the 3-season dvd boxed set, every episode recorded on vhs tapes...

      Obsessed, I was.

      Like you, I considered "And Death Shall Have No Dominion" might be an appropriate statement as we leave 2020 behind.

      I'm a little sad about leaving the poems series, but other blogging topics are calling.

      Thank you for stopping by to comment. Here's to 2021!



      Delete
  4. You definitely were and still are a fan of B&B. I like my happy endings, hence why I love and prefer romances over "literary" books. NIcholas Sparks writes good stories that have made me cry or angry at the end of the movie. I was so angry with Message in the Bottle when Kevin Costner died saving that woman. He's had far too many, but lately he spares the main characters but still has to make someone die. So I understand, Kaye, how you feel. The poems are beautiful. I look forward to your Chicago book and blogs. Wishing you a happy and successful 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I have avoided reading Sparks' books for the reason that I know how they end, and I need happy endings, not my heart wrenched out. Real like does that all too well.

      Happy New Year!!

      Delete