Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2020

Edgar Allen Poe - 3 Poems - by Kaye Spencer #edgarallenpoe #poems #poetry #prairierosepubs

 


This article is Day 7 of the series running on my author blog called 13 Days of Spooky Blogging. For the curious, this is the link to Day 1 HERE if you want to read the articles to date.

Here on the Firestar Press blog, this is my sixth article in a series about my favorite poems. Click on the poem’s titles to read the previous five articles.

 

Appropriate for October and Halloween, this month I’m writing about my three favorite poems by Edgar Allen Poe (b. Jan. 19, 1809 – d. Oct. 7, 1849)

Edgar Allen Poe
Public Domain | Creative Commons

I discovered Poe’s macabre stories and poetry when I was in junior high literature class. The first of his works I read was The Raven. It was Katie bar the door after that. I read everything he wrote as fast as I could. I reread his works every few years.

 Of his short stories, The Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, and The Pit and the Pendulum make the hairs stand up on my arms and shivers run down my spine. Adding the campy creepiness of Vincent Price to Poe’s works, whether reciting Poe’s poetry or as an actor in old B movies, simply increases my Poe-delight.

 

Vincent Price
Public Domain | Creative Commons

For good old fashioned family Halloween fun, I highly recommend watching Vincent Price in director Roger Corman’s really terrible (in a fabulously good way) movie version of The Pit and the Pendulum (1961). The entire movie is available on YouTube HERE.

I’ve memorized three of Poe’s poems: The Raven, Annabel Lee, and El Dorado. I can still recite them from memory (with a little boost on The Raven).

The Raven is a narrative poem of 18 stanzas of six lines each. It was first published in January 1845 in the New York Evening Mirror. While he made little money with this poem, it appealed to a wide audience, which made his name ‘household’ during his lifetime. To this day, it is one of the most famous poems ever written.

Here is actor Christopher Lee reciting The Raven.


Annabel Lee was published in 1849, shortly after his death. It is the last complete poem Poe wrote. The poem is not technically in ballad form, although Poe considered it a ballad. It is a poem of yearning for a lost love.

For a twist on straight poetry recitation, here is Stevie Nicks singing an adaptation of Annabel Lee.


El Dorado was published in April 1849 in an issue of The Flag of Our Union, which was a weekly story paper published in Boston, Massachusetts. The poem tells the quest of a gallant knight searching for the unattainable—El Dorado. The definition of El Dorado is up to the reader (listener) to determine. El Dorado could be something tangible, spiritual, or intellectual.

Actor James Caan recites lines from El Dorado in the western movie, El Dorado (1966), with John  Wayne and Robert Mitchum. Unfortunately, this isn’t James Caan reciting, but it is a nice rendition.


Day 9 - Spooky blogging - Mary Reed Building - University of Denver (Colorado) on Kaye’s blog Tuesday, Oct. 27th


Until next time,
Kaye Spencer


(source of information: Wikipedia)


Find Kaye on...

Facebook
Instagram
Blogging
Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I should have guessed you would post about Poe. LOL Annabel Lee is one of my favorites. The Raven is probably the most well known of his poems. And El Dorado, well, one of John Wayne's best. Good post, Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      EA Poe = Halloween ;-) I'm so funny. hahaha Annabel Lee is a gem. So ethereally haunting. Lamenting a lost love.

      Delete
  2. Poe wrote so many good'uns that they've stayed in my memory all these years and love to revisit them. Great post, Kaye.

    ReplyDelete