Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2020

A WRITER'S CHRISTMAS LIST, by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer

  


Aside from the usual things—peace on Earth, a lottery win, a pony (that’s a hold-out from when I was a little girl)—all I want for Christmas are:

 

AUTHOR EVENTS.

I used to get so nervous before a book event that I’d swear I’d never do one again. Now I miss them like crazy.

BOOKSTORES.

Remember back when we could go to a real live bookstore? See our books placed lovingly on the shelves?

CONFERENCES.

From Pop Cats to the Cat Writers Association Conference to the Las Vegas Star Trek convention, 2020 was cancelled and it looks like 2021 may not be much better. I can’t wait until it’s safe to go out again. Besides the joy and vivacity of the various events, I love staying in hotels and ordering room service.

EXERCISE.

OMC! Did I say the E-word? I’ve never been the one to go to the gym or play sports, but BC (before Covid) I got a certain amount of exercise in my daily life. Now my biggest exertion is moving from screen to screen—laptop, computer, TV, phone. I don’t have the desire or discipline to do pushups with Richard Simmons, but if I don’t get going, I fear I’ll turn into Jaba the Hut.

FELLOWSHIPS.

Zoom is great! I don’t have to dress or brush my teeth. I can even set a background so my associates think I’m in Hawaii or the Louvre instead of my messy office. But online chats will never replace in person events, no matter how hard everyone tries.

MEETINGS.

I belong to several writers’ and other groups that hold regular meetings, at least they did BC. Some have moved to Zoom, but others have fallen by the wayside. Hopefully when this is all over, those groups can move forward again. We’ve lost so much during this pandemic, but I have high hopes for people’s enthusiasm about what comes next.

NEW IDEAS.

You’d think working on four books would be enough to keep me busy, and it is, but all four are in various stages of editing. I have nothing new to wrap my head around, which may be for the best since my head isn’t working all that well these days.

PRESENTATIONS.

Another in-person event put on hold, presentations, both mine and other people’s, were one of my favorite pastimes. I’ve done a couple of them on Zoom but felt such distance from my little audience of squares, I preformed poorly. Sorry about that.

REVIEWS.

I know people are reading. What else do we have to do (besides Netflix and Amazon shopping?) so why aren’t I seeing a rise in book reviews? Maybe everyone’s stunned into silence by the current events. I know I am.

SLEEP.

I don’t know about you, but my sleep cycle is all messed up. I’m awake half the night, then dog-tired after lunch. What I wouldn’t give for a good night’s sleep where not a creature is stirring not even a cat—I mean, mouse.


What’s on you Writer’s Christmas List this year?



2 comments:

  1. I'm not so certain that people are reading more, Mollie. I think many of us are too brain paralyzed to read and retain anything. Is that like Covid Brain Fog? Sales for most writers is down right now.

    The very idea of doing a book event scares me. That would mean some kind of socialization. It's not just the fear of Covid speaking here; it's the introverted me that would sooner be boiled in oil like a French fry than have a book signing.

    2020 is probably going to go down in history as one of the most miserable years in world history, but I do have a certain optimism that 2021 will be better--at the very least an improvement over what we've experienced this year.

    I miss bookstores. I miss finding great books on the shelves and the musty smell of books. I like Office Depot where I can check out journals, try out new pens, look at different colors of ink for my fountain pens, and smell the reams of paper. It's not as exciting as Books A Million, but it'll do for now.

    I hope your Christmas is just what you want it to be. All the best to you, Mollie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Office Depot too, though I'm going nowhere right now.

      I'm not sure how my nostalgia for book events will translate into reality when the time comes. I too am a died-in-the-wool introvert.

      Sadly, you're probably right about reading during covid. For most of the year, sales were terrible, but the last few months have they come up considerably. I like to picture people curled by the fire with a cat on their lap reading a good book.

      Best to you and your family as well,
      Mollie

      Delete