Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2020

My Papa’s Waltz by Theodore Roethke (not over-analyzed) by Kaye Spencer #poetry #firestarpress






American Pulitzer Prize winning poet Theodore Roethke (1908-1963) was born today, May 25, 1908.

Although he isn’t my favorite poet, he did write my favorite poem, My Papa’s Waltz, which was originally published in ‘Hearst Magazine’ in 1942.


 
“Theodore Roethke: Selected Poems: (American Poets Project #16)”
Book details HERE
My Papa’s Waltz is a short poem of 16 lines comprised of four stanzas with a rhyme scheme of ABAB. Sadly, this poem has been taken apart, turned upside down and inside out, and analyzed under literary and scholarly microscopes to find the deeper meaning—the true meaning—that Roethke intended beneath the surface.

To literary critics, I say, Sometimes, a dog is just a dog.

(Fair warning: If you are a literary critic or subscribe to that approach to enjoying poetry, the rest of this article is not for you.)

Back to the dog...

What pleasure do we get from poetry if we rely upon someone else’s professional opinion and interpretation to tell us what the poem really means to us? Why do we have to read for symbolism in order to have a poem touch our heart, speak to us in a uniquely personal way, or have a special meaning that is ours alone? I think literary critics would do well to employ a little less Freud and a little more heart in their literary evaluations.

Poetry is personal. Poetry must be savored, thought about, read and read again, spoken aloud. What shouldn’t happen is poetry analyzed to the point of it being an impersonal list of institutionally scrubbed and disinfected words strung together.

I’m not including links to these literary critiques. Google the poem’s title, and you’ll find plenty.

My Papa’s Waltz takes me back to my happy childhood. For me it is a straight forward, captured-moment-in-time of a playful and loving dance between child and father (or grandfather). I stood on my grandpa’s feet and danced like this many, many times, and my ears did occasionally scrape his belt buckle. When I read this poem, I still smell his whiskey, beer, cigarette smoke, chewing tobacco, garden dirt, and wood working that make up my olfactory memories of him. He was my maternal grandpa who lived just across the pasture and around the pond from me.

Spring 1958 – Me with Grandpa on his roof.
The back side of his house was built into a dirt bank,
so it was easy to crawl up and sit on the roof.

Christmas 1956 – I was almost two years old.

This was my 5th birthday.
Some interpretations of this poem insist that Roethke was frightened of his father, because of his fathers drinking and violent behavior, which is, apparently, evident in the poem. *shrug* That may well be true, but I dont read this into the poem, because I dont have to. It's not my experience, so the lenses in my world-view glasses have a different color.

I was not scared of my grandpa. He was not violent. He was a carpenter, a gardener, an outdoorsman, a musician, a self-taught scholar, and a teacher of life skills to an attentive granddaughter. He taught me to play the harmonica by ear. He raised pigs and chickens. His hands were often dirty and his knuckles often battered. He was of the blue collar working class.

We sometimes danced around the kitchen and knocked things off shelves, but we had a darn good time. By today’s standards, I suppose he was an alcoholic, but he did a day’s work every day, because there was work to be done.

He was an awful housekeeper (widower), but I didn’t realize that until I was grown. When I was 12, he finally got indoor plumbing. He cooked on an old fashioned wood stove that also heated his house.

My Papa’s Waltz is, and will remain, a cherished poem that takes me back to my happy childhood with a grandpa who was a good and decent man, despite the whiskey on his breath…

Here is Theodore Roethke reading his poem, My Papa’s Waltz.





I’d love to hear what your favorite poems are. Sometimes, leaving a comment on Blogger is problematic, so pop over to this article where I’ve posted it on my Facebook page and comment there, if you are so inclined.

Until next time
Kaye Spencer






Stay in contact with Kaye—

Amazon Author Page | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | Pinterest | Facebook | BookBub














9 comments:

  1. I can see why this is your favorite poem because it truly reminds you of your grandpa. I remember high school English-lit class and having to dissect poems and if we didn't agree with the teacher's interpretation, well, we didn't get a good mark. I hated analyzing poems for that reason. My favorite poem of all time is The Highwayman. I guess it appealed to me because of the picture it painted and the rhythm of the words echoed the horse's hooves clopping on the cobblestones. How wonderful you have this poem to remind you of waltzing with grandpa. It touches all the senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I love The Highwayman, also. I like ballad poetry, and this is one of the best. It's mysterious, scary, evocative of danger and darkness, has a love story in it... All the components we love to write about in our romance novels.

      Poems do touch our senses, and I can't help but think of my grandpa when I read this poem.

      Thanks for stopping in to comment.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you 100% on the over-analyzation of poetry and twisting its meaning this way and that until all meaning intended by the author is gone.
    You said so beautifully how this poem brought memories of you and your grandpa dancing. Poetry really is personal. It's our emotions brought about by a line and an image made of words. Like a painting, none of us will get the same meaning from it and it's irreverent to try to interpret its meaning for everyone else.

    My favorite poem is "The Lady of Shallot" by Lord Tennyson. It's so sad and poignant. My favorite line is "Blow the cobwebs from the mirror; see yourself at last." My husband had an antique ring engraved with those words because he knew how much I loved that line.

    A wonderful, well written piece about something I deeply care about. All the best to you, Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    Ahh... The Lady of Shallot... I love all things Arthurian and Camelot, and this poem fits right into that love, and it's a ballad, which is also a favorite. This poem, and the paintings done of it, remind me of paintings of Ophelia floating on her back in the water in Shakespeare's Hamlet.

    I like poems from many different poets, but overall, my favorite poet is Robert Louis Stevenson. My parents and grandpa read from The Child's Garden of Verses to me so much that we all memorized the poems in that book. They probably got tired of reading them over and over, but I didn't.

    'When I was sick and lay abed, I had two pillows at my head...'

    Thank you so much for commenting. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there are not many poems I don't like. Tennyson, Ferlinghetti, Oliver, Frost, Masters, oh I could go on an on. Probably the ones that I like now are R H Sin's work and of course 'Lucinda Matlock' from "Spoon River Anthology". I never tire of that one. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Thank you for sharing your favorites. I am not familiar with a few of them. I will remedy that. ;-)

      Delete
    2. An example of R.H. Sin's work

      “I usually become a ghost to
      those who no longer deserve
      my time. I've never seen a point
      in explaining my absence to
      someone who failed to
      appreciate my presence. You
      don't owe any explanations to
      those who hurt you.”
      ― R.H. Sin

      Delete
  5. Kaye, I love this poem. It's a fave of mine, too, because it truly says so much in so few words. Like Doris, there are very few poems I DON'T like! When I was a little girl I dreamed of becoming a poet and I wrote notebooks FULL of terrible poetry. LOL Long...story...poems...that...went...on...forever...LOL

    I really love Robert Louis Stevenson's poetry--we learned (in 4th grade) the first one I had to memorize. WINDY NIGHTS! Oh, what a joy to memorize those lines, "Whenever the moon and stars are set, whenever the wind is high/All night long in the dark and wet a man goes riding by."LOVED THAT!

    But my all time favorite poet and poem is THE LISTENERS by Walter de la Mare. I really don't think he ever wrote a 'bad' poem. That one is probably my fave poem ever, though I do love The Highwayman, too. Another fave of mine is WHEN YOU ARE OLD by William Butler Yeats.

    When You Are Old
    BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
    When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
    And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
    And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
    Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

    How many loved your moments of glad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

    And bending down beside the glowing bars,
    Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
    And paced upon the mountains overhead
    And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

    There are so many wonderful poems and poets it's hard to pick just one! Loved your post, Kaye. I have only one poem that evokes memories such as yours does for you. THE CREMATION OF SAM MCGEE which my dad thoroughly loved and would read to me sometimes when I was about 5 or 6 and how I loved the sound of his voice and the rhythm of the poetry, but then Mom would come in and say, "FRRRREEED..." and raise her eyebrow and he'd say, "Well, maybe we better read something else..." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHAHA >>> your mom. All the poems you mentioned are treasures for me, too. Robert Louis Stevenson's poetry is so rhythmic and lends itself to memorization. When You Are Old is so touching and brings tears.

      A poem that I can only recite about the first two stanzas anymore is Paul Revere's Ride.

      A poem that I am able to still recite is Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

      Poetry truly touches our souls.

      Thanks for sharing your favorites and your memories.

      Delete