Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2020

The Night Before Christmas - by Kaye Spencer #poems #nightbeforechristmas #prairierosepubs #belovedpoems

 


This is my
seventh article in a series about my favorite poems. Click below to read the previous six articles.

Oct. 2020 – The Raven, El Dorado, Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe
Sept. 2020 – A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Aug. 2020 – Acquainted with the Night, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
July  2020 – Invictus by William Ernest Henley
June 2020 – Casey at the Bat by Ernest Lawrence Thayer
May 2020 – My Papa’s Waltz by Theodore Roethke

 To usher in the holiday season, my poem for this month is one I memorized at a young age. I can still recite it today A Visit from St. Nicholas, or as it is more commonly known, The Night Before Christmas by American writer and professor Clement Clarke Moore.

 

Clement Clarke Moore
Image in Public Domain

The Night Before Christmas was originally published anonymously in 1823. Not long after, it was attributed to Clement Clarke Moore, who did claim authorship in 1837. There is controversy over the rightful author of the poem, but I’m not concerned about that. I’m perfectly happy with Moore as the author. You can read the controversy HERE.

This poem is considered to be one of the most beloved poems of all time, and its verses are universally well-known.

This poem did for Christmas in America what A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens did for the general view of Christmas in Great Britain. Both works influenced how people thought of Christmas and how to celebrate it. The Night Before Christmas set modern conceptions of Santa Claus and gift-giving from the time the poem was written, and it continues to have influence to this day.

Here is Dick Van Dyke reciting The Night Before Christmas.

 


If you're reading this article via your phone, you probably aren't seeing this video. Here is the link. The Night Before Christmas - https://youtu.be/pLhnh1VOAoM

I wish you all happiness, good health, friendship, fellowship this holiday season.

Until next time,
Kaye Spencer


Find Kaye here...

8 comments:

  1. A classic American poem, and very timely as we enter the festive season. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,

    Thank you for stopping in to comment. The Night Before Christmas is a treasure, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaye I remember I had one of those big (and I mean BIG--probably about 12 x 16) "cloth" story books with this poem in it. I might still have that thing up in the attic! I remember it cost .29--the price was on the front in a little circle in the top corner. (That's how many times I've read this book!) It was a precious keepsake, even as I got older and outgrew a "cloth" book. My dad used to recite this poem. It amazed me that he could remember such a LONG poem. LOL It's one of my favorites, too. In fact, all your favorites are some of mine, as well. This is the perfect poem for this wonderful time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      I think I had that same version when I was little. ;-) My parents and grandparents read the poem to me. I have a vague recollection of having it read over and over in one setting and I imagine they got pretty tired of the poem. haha

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I have this poem in audio in my Bradford Exchange big Victorian house. I can leave the lights on or have the poem being told as the lights flick on here and there in the rooms. I also bought a beautifully illustrated copy of the book that is a pleasure to turn the pages. One of my favorite poems. Thanks for sharing, Kaye...and have a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I have seen ads of your Bradford Exchange Victorian House. It's a lovely Christmas decoration. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  5. What a great choice of poems to get started on the Christmas season, Kaye. What kid didn't love this poem as a childhood treasure and a reminder of the magic of Christmas. As a child I believed every word of this poem was absolutely true. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,

    The Night Before Christmas really is a magical poem. It paints such a vivid mental picture for the reader. Thanks for stopping in to comment. I apologize for the tardiness of my response. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete