Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

 A Time To Write   -  Ruben D. Gonzales

It came as a surprise to me, the solitariness of writing. Long hours alone. Cooped up with only my thoughts on the created fictional world. I now understand the draw a fictional world holds over troubled souls. A world of your own making where outside stresses may be left behind. Where worries of a Corona virus need not be carried. Our shoulders, bent under the pressure of every day life, suddenly relieved by the trip into another domain, created just as you want, filled with whimsical characters or dreadful spirits, happy children, or assassins bent on death.

Of course my wife dislikes that world. The world where I appear to lose myself – away from the immediacy of the household world. Both retired now from working beneath others, on others schedules, from others expectations, I think she thought the hard earned free time would be our time. Time to spend visiting grand children. Time for household chores and renovations. Instead she discovered a writing hermit had been sharing her bed all these years.

Not that I entirely withdraw from the world around. There are still meals to contemplate, trash to take out, occasional long delayed home repairs. But at the slightest pause in the everyday I can dash to the computer to write. To retreat into the world of my current story, treasure hunt or mystery. 

As writing has become the must do – other once cherished past times have indeed passed. The guitar in its case remains silent. The twang of the banjo leaning against the wall next to my desk remains strangely quiet. The piano in the den, even at this holiday time of year, has lost its merriment. All replaced by solitary writing where the words on the page take the primary position over all else.

Is this why the literary world is filled with the scared souls of our greatest writers? Or have I not just found the balance between what is expected and what is needed - to write.

So I steal time in the early morning hours, waking at 4:00 AM - sometimes earlier. Stealing time from sleep. A double edged sword. To find time to write but with the loss of sleep the dreams that come are also lost. 

www.rubendgonzales.com


2 comments:

  1. Ruben,

    Author Robert Heinlein once said: Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

    Joking aside, writing is a solitary endeavor, for sure. A writer has to like her/his own company enough to spend countless hours at the keyboard or with pencil on the paper to the expense of many other activities that could take up the hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most writers I know are introverts, Ruben. It isn't that we dislike people or that we are consumed by the need to be alone and avoid others; it's that interaction with others consumes energy. Where extroverts are energized by the company of others, we have to recharge our batteries in the quiet of solitude. We can be the life of the party, but we feel exhausted afterward.

    It may hard on the spouses of writers who have an expectation of constant togetherness. It's good that you have a writing schedule. That way, your wife knows that's your personal writing time and can adjust her own activities around it.

    I get it about your musical instruments getting dusty when your deep into as project. I play the violin, guitar, and bagpipes and they get very little attention when I'm into a writing project. I play them mostly between projects or when I hit a difficult place in a WIP because they're a creative distraction that help me relax.

    This was a thought provoking blog. I wish you all the best, Ruben.

    ReplyDelete