Search This Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2020

RESEARCH and YOUR TV, by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer




Television- the seductive mind-suck that most of us find ourselves indulging in on a daily basis. Couch potato? Not me. 

I'm a writer, so for me, watching TV is a form of research. I write fiction, so when I view Midsomer Murders, Miss Marple, or Murder She Wrote, it stokes the fires of my cozy imagination. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Angels and Demons, and Gormenghast serve as flights of fancy to inspire my sci- fantasy series. Though I don't write police procedurals or thrillers, a well-composed series like True Detective, Bosch, or Unforgotten is useful. Even the old standbys like NCIS have something to offer. 

For an added bonus, turn on closed captioning as an insight into how to write realistic conversation and dialog. 

But... 

There is a bit if translation necessary to make these inspirations my own. Though Perry Mason may be the go-to lawyer show, a lot has changed since 1970. Unless I'm writing a retro thriller, I'll need to get more information from other sources. And though Agatha Christie may be the queen of mystery, her solutions might not work in today's society. 

Yes, television is a righteous research tool, but I must not get so wrapped up in their story as to lose sight of mine. 




Here's a little exercise: Pause whatever you're watching, and write a paragraph about the scene. Use colors, patterns, sound and sense as well as conversation. Read it back to yourself. Could a reader envision the scenario? Have you made it your own? 

Besides the shows I mentioned, here are some others that have inspired me: 

Torchwood
Stargate 
The Orville 
The Hobbit (not lotr) 
Blade  Runner 
Laura 
Gotham 
Father Brown 
Murdoch Mysteries 
Brokenwood Mysteries 
The Bridge/Bron 
Inspector Morse/Inspector Lewis/Endeavor
Shetland
Conan the Barbarian (original Arnie version)
Mystery Road
Glitch season 1
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes/Sherlock
Anything with David Tennant except the ones about serial killers 

One last comment: I am writing this on my phone. I do not recommend it.

3 comments:

  1. I see many of my favorite movies and series on your list. I like the closed captioning because I don't want to miss anything. I have noticed how the actors don't always follow the script as written. Interesting.

    Watching TV or even on a smaller screen like my Kindle kills any desire in me to write. I can't say I have ever found TV good for research except the culture and clothing in some time period series like Grantchester on PBS and most Masterpiece Mysteries on PBS (love them!) I do notice there are some informative police procedures that are helpful--and someday I might want to try writing a mystery.
    I cannot write anything on my phone except text messages which I would rather do than actually talk on the phone. I know. I'm a terrible introvert. LOL When my computer crashed recently I had to use my Kindle to keep in touch with everyone on FB and the blogs. I hated it!
    I wish you all the best, Mollie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fact that u do my writing before I watch any television. I don't find it distracting if I try to combine the two too close together.

    ReplyDelete