Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Boo!

In the blink of an eye it’s gone from March to October, and Halloween is fast approaching.  But this holiday promises to be different than usual.  Will there be a Halloween at all?  Gone are the days of light-hearted dressing up and trick-or-treating.  Last year, Halloween celebrations in my neck of the woods (northern California) were threatened by wildfires and power outages.  This year, we still have have the fires, but the pandemic might be the biggest threat to celebrating the spooky tradition.  
What will children do?  Is it safe to go out and about?  What about trick-or-treating?  Digging into a community candy bowl in close contact with others is probably not the best idea.  My husband already bought bags of Halloween candy that needs to be given away or I will eat it all!  I was thinking of making individual bags and placing them along the driveway for the kids to pick up.

Besides the candy, there are other ways to celebrate.  We have had Halloween parties in the past, but that’s out the window.  I love to dress up and have gone from full costume several years ago:




to a more relaxed version recently:



I doubt I will dress up at all this year, although I may throw on the t-shirt.  


We like to decorate the house and yard:



And I love to watch a good horror movie or revisit my favorite spooky stories:


  

My husband and I make it a tradition to visit a pumpkin patch every year, and this year was no different.  My idea of a pumpkin patch is paying five times more for a pumpkin than you would at the grocery store and having to lug it a lot further to the car:



My husband’s idea sounds like some sort of convoluted fairy tale about liberating the poor oppressed pumpkins from the pumpkin patch.
  I tell him we can liberate them from the grocery store for 1/5 of the price, but he’s having none of that.  Having said that, it’s nice to get outside and enjoy the cooler fall weather.  It’s an al fresco activity with plenty of room for social distancing.  And there were plenty of fun photo ops:





What are your plans with the kids or grandkids this Halloween?  Do you have any fun Halloween traditions to share?






Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Her second book, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon is now available.  To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.




14 comments:

  1. I love your decorations. It looks like you have a lot of fun with the holiday even though it won't be normal. It's always been one of my favourites too, but I'm Scottish. We have a long tradition of games, dressing-up and spooky story-telling going way back. I love that other people find it fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some fun things you can still do this year. I forgot to mention the seasonal pumpkin biscotti from Trader Joe’s that I enjoy with my coffee all month. It’s the little things!

      Delete
  2. Love the decorations! The old VW as a spider is so dern creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not sure who came up with that one, but it’s great!

      Delete
  3. Angela,

    I look forward to October and Halloween. Not even the current world-weirdness can take that away from me. In my small, rural town, Trick-or-Treating is still 'on', but I am altering the way I pass out treats. Normally, kiddoes come into my yard, up the front porch steps, and I meet them outside. This year, I'll have them stay on the sidewalk along the street, and I'll lay out treats on a table for them to take. Some years I have 5 trick-or-treaters, and other years, 100 or more. Weather and day of the week that Halloween falls on impacts the numbers. This year with Halloween on Saturday and that there is a full moon, I'm expecting a good turn out despite the virus concerns. I'll make sure to keep my social distance. Since I usually dress up in costume, this year, I'll be sure to dress in a 'masked' outfit. Happy Halloween and All Hollow's Eve to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween to you, too! You have some good ideas for treats. I was also thinking about the table with treats set out. We will have to make ourselves comfortable on the porch to make sure one person doesn’t take everything (which has happened before)!

      Delete
    2. We'll have to stay outside, too, because of the occasional greedy visitor. We've had more fair weather Halloween nights than inclement weather ones, so I'm hoping for a pleasant night to stay outside.

      Delete
    3. Looks like it will be pretty warm here, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. I've heard our Mall isn't doing the Halloween fun night, so there may be more tricksters out on our street. So far I haven't dragged the boxes of decorations up from the basement and am still undecided. I know the kids enjoy all the decorations and I dress up as a witch, but I'm just not into it this year....sigh. My little grandson lives 3 hours away but if he were here for sure I'd find the energy somehow. I think there are a couple of houses in town that go all out with ways to scare people or have them experiment with things (like dipping your hand into a green gel with eyeballs (frozen peeled grapes). Like who has time to peel grapes? I so enjoyed your post and decorations. Halloween is so much fun, so too bad it's so up in the air this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I will be a weird year, but hopefully we can all have some fun. Sadly, I chose this month to go on a diet, but I will be breaking it with all sorts of Halloween treats!

      Delete
  5. I liked reading about how you and your husband have celebrated Halloween until this year. The pictures were grand. Your house was probably so much fun for kids to visit for their Halloween treats. Even though it is more expensive to buy a pumpkin straight from the farm. My husband and I used to drive up into the mountains to buy our Halloween pumpkins. It was always such a fun trip.
    Because I live alone and have a dog that will not stop barking when someone comes to the front door, I started handing out treats from the bay window which is right beside the front door. It has worked out great that way.
    I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do this year with Covid-19 rustling its claws about. I'm seriously considering turning off the porch light and just watching movies on the TV. Charlotte's City Counsel has discouraged kids from trick-or-treating as well as the usual haunted houses, carnivals, parties, and so on. It's going to be one gray and boring Halloween.
    I wish you all the best, Angela. Despite everything, I hope you have a marvelous Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I have a line-up of movies that I'm putting together, including Bewitched with Will Ferrel and Nicole Kidman, which I somehow missed several years ago when it came out. We will find something fun to make out of this!

      Delete
  6. Since we are Halloween grinches, this year won't be much different for us, but I sympathize with those who love the holiday, and hope they can all be as inspired as you are a

    And thank you for reminding me to promote Nine Deadly Lives!

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mollie! I will be re-reading those spooky stories again this year.

      Delete