Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Choosing Hope


This post is in a similar vein to that of fellow author and cat lover Mollie Hunt's post in July. (If you missed Molly's post you can read it HERE.) My posts for the last three months have covered #cockygate and book stuffing - two issues currently making big waves in the world of publishing. While both issues started in the Romance world, they quickly spread to other genres. (And sadly, romance is still an much maligned genre so issues have to spread to other genres in order to be taken seriously. But, that's a rant for another time.)

I've had to limit the amount of time spent checking on the latest developments in both areas. Why? Because it depresses me. For me, both reading and writing are for a love of words and stories. To see words and stories sullied by people who enter the publishing arena just to make money, makes me want to cry. I have a hard time calling these people writers because so many utilize the services of ghostwriters; the stories they capitalize own aren't even their own. I don't understand the mindset of those who look at publishing strictly as a way to pad their bank accounts instead of as a way to share the stories of their hearts. And, when these people begin actively working to remove their competition... Well, I just feel like throwing in the towel. Why am I even trying to tell my stories when people with much deeper pockets than me are working to suppress me and others like me?

As someone who has dealt with major anxiety issues in my life, I have learned that it is easy for current events to trigger my anxieties and the best way to combat the problem is to remove those triggers. So, while it's important for me to stay informed, I can do so by checking the latest information once or twice a week, not multiple times a day.

Doctors report an increase in the numbers of cases of anxiety and depression. I firmly believe that, in part, it is a direct result of the never-ending negativity that has become so pervasive in our culture. All you have to do is turn on the television and the news media is more than happy to beat you over the head with how horrible the world is and how everyone in it is out to take advantage of you. Yes, terrible things happen every day, but so do wonderful things. As for people, I still believe that there are far more good, kind people in the world than there are evil.

Image courtesy of Depositphotos.com

I refuse to be a part of the problem. I choose hope. I choose to use my voice, as small as it is, to spread love, joy, and laughter. I write stories about love, friendship, and fighting to overcome the bad in order to find the good. On my Facebook back, I share stories about people (and animals) doing their part to make the world a better place. It may not be much but it's what I believe I am called to do. I hope you'll join me.

How do you spread joy?


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

4 comments:

  1. One of the greatest gifts an author can have is empathy. It allows us to step into another person's shoes and feel their feelings. We go deep, my friend, to bind our hearts with our characters. And we do it with the people around us, too. Maybe that's why so many of us are introverts--all that energy of feeling other people's feelings can be exhausting. We have to have alone time to recharge. Empathy is also our Achilles heel. It makes us sensitive to what other people say about us and a bad review can set us off on a spiral of self-doubt.

    Write your stories Isobella, and turn off the inane chatter of those who have nothing good to say because they want to appear smart or fashionable. Compare yourself to no one. Write in the genre you love. You're not here to impress or get approval from anyone.

    I don't know an author who writes just for the money. I would not respect them if that's their only reason to put thoughts on paper. A genuine writer puts their soul into their words. I'm not selling my soul today. Sure, we like getting a nice royalty check. It's like a reward for doing our best to tell a good story. But most of us would confess, we would write without receiving a single dollar.

    I like stories about the most important relationship in our human lives--love. And I like a happy ending. If a story has a character that makes me laugh, well dang, I feel like I've hit the jackpot. That's what we do. Just keep doing that, Isobella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sarah. Your comments are always uplifting and encouraging.

      Delete
  2. Isabella,

    Like you, I choose to stay away from the negativity of the social media world. I stay current enough to be an informed citizen, but that's it. Yes, there are terrible things out there in the big ol' world, but there are wonderful things, too. When we write our stories o love, hope, and happily ever after, we're sending positivity into the universe. Probably, when it's all said and done, that's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye! I agree. I am going to continue to put into the world the things I want to see - stories of love and laughter with a happily-ever-after.

      Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete