Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2020

Living in the Twilight Zone


A month ago I had no idea we would all be living in this new somewhat surreal reality. I knew it was only a matter of time before the coronavirus wreaking havoc in China and Italy made its way to our shores. I did not realize just how bad it would be; I don't know that any of us did.

Admittedly, I'm an introvert, so social distancing is my norm. My husband and I began limiting how much we left the house three weeks ago. Now that we have a month or so of it still to go I'm getting a bit twitchy. I miss being able to eat out. Even though I took over primary responsibility for cooking after I retired last year, meal planning is still not my forte. Non-stop meal planning for the foreseeable future? Ugh.

As most anxiety sufferers will attest, anxieties and long-term stress don't mix well. It also doesn't matter how logical the anxiety sufferer is, anxiety itself is not logical. Even though my anxieties are generally well-controlled, I really struggled for a while. When mine were at their worst a couple of weeks ago, I didn't want to eat. Why? Because eating would mean using our supplies and using supplies meant going to the store to restock and the thought of shopping was almost enough to make me hyperventilate. As I said, not logical.

In order to help put my anxieties at ease, we have changed the way we shop. I am now placing orders for groceries and other supplies online and picking them up at the store thereby negating the need to mingle with crowds of people. I know some people have been doing this for ages but it's new to me - it's also wonderful.

Image courtesy of depositphotos.com

However, as of April 1st, COVID-19 is no longer just a faceless specter. It is now wearing the face of my youngest son. My son contacted my husband when he left work on the 1st stating "I think I have it." Once he got home he took a picture of the thermometer - his temp was 102.5 F. I sent him the number of a coronavirus hotline. The hotline told him that he was one symptom away from testing by a mobile unit and to call back if he developed a cough/shortness of breath - and that, effective immediately, he must quarantine himself for 14 days. As of today (April 2nd), he has the cough/shortness of breath and the complete lethargy other sufferers have described. I'm in full mama bear mode. I want to load my car with soup and Gatorade and go see my son, but I can't. In short, this sucks.

These are difficult times and they are going to get worse before they get better. However, they will get better. In the meantime, we need to be kind to each other and love on each other - from a distance of course. Call/text friends, share funny memes, and take time away from the news/social media. Staying connected 24/7 won't change anything except you - and honestly, not for the better.

How are you doing? What are you doing to keep yourself sane during social distancing?


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join











4 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you, Isabella. It must be painful not to be able to see your son while he is ill with possible Covid-19. I pray for his quick and complete recovery and the strength for you and your family both physically and emotionally until this is over.

    I liked the last paragraph of your post about our diligence in using whatever methods are necessary to combat Covid-19 and the need for kindness and staying connected in what ways we can with those we love and care for.

    Like most writers, I, too, am an introvert. I am not having a hard time with staying at home, but it is wearing spiritually and emotionally not to visit family and friends whenever I want. If I didn't have my dog, Lily I would be most unhappy. She is my constant companion.

    Because I feel it's only a matter of time before face masks are mandated while out in public I am attempting to make some from bandanas here at home. I would never go out and hoard them keeping them from healthcare workers on the frontline. I heard that using the material from vacuum cleaner bags and inserting them in the pockets of homemade masks increases its ability to ward off the virus. Each time they are used they can be discarded and new ones tucked into the pockets of the masks. I love the way people can be so inventive when the need arises.

    I wish you and your family the very best in these troubled times, Isabella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Sarah and for your kind words. Take care of yourself and stay safe!

      Delete
  2. Isabella, I'm sorry your son is sick. I feel for you, for him, for your family. Being helpless sucks. One thing that aggravates me about the news media is how little they say about those many people who get only a mild case of Covid, and those who get sick and recover fully. There are many, thankfully way outnumbering those who fail. Praying your son is one of those. They are the majority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! I agree. Any deaths are sad but there are so many mild cases and recoveries that are never reported. Fortunately, my son is among that number. He was extremely sick for about a week but the worst of it is now behind him. He is still tired and developed one of the other symptoms that seems to be under-reported; he has temporarily lost his sense of smell and taste. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words.

      Delete