Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The Joy of Editing


You’ve probably heard of The Joy of Cooking and The Joy of Sex.  I would much rather be doing either of those than editing.  But I currently find myself in the editing phase on three different writing projects.  I’m not sure how this happened - perhaps it was karma, coincidence, poor planning on my part, or maybe a little bit of each.  Since I’m relatively new to writing, I’m not a pro at the editing process.  In fact, I’m just the opposite.   

How I feel when I have to edit something.

I have heard many tips like, read things out of order, take a break and come back to it, change the font, read your work out loud, print it out, etc.  Even considering all of this, I have a hard time editing something I’ve written, myself, and seeing the work from an outside perspective.  

That’s why having someone who can provide editing assistance is a must.  Shawn Cosby, an amazing author I met at a Bouchercon last year, has said about the editing process, “Opening that first email with ‘Edits’ in the subject line was like defusing a bomb in an 80’s action flick.  Once I got through the first round of edits, I felt like I had survived a trial by fire.”  I’m not sure I would go that far, but almost.  Before my father passed away, he was my go-to guy for editing.  I always asked him to read my stuff, and begged him for suggestions and critiques.  He was very light-handed with his edits, however, and never provided much feedback.  Strange for a former college English professor and prolific writer.  I interpreted this as him not wanting hurt my feelings.  

Not so much with the professional editors I have worked with since then.  They tell it like it is, which I appreciate and it’s what they’re there for, but it can be hard to take.  It’s not that I think my writing is perfect or that it can’t be improved.  Far from it.  I know that it can be, and I’m happy to accept constructive criticism, although it helps if it’s provided gently.  And a few positive words sprinkled in with the negative can help ease the pain.  (Yes, I need to toughen up!)  The problem seems to be that once I’ve written something, I find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to change.  Like it’s set in stone.  So I blame my fear and hatred of change.  Once I’ve written something, it’s hard for me to see it from a different angle, especially if it involves changing a story’s structure.  

I’m hoping the process will become easier the more I do it.  Do you edit your own writing, or do you find friends or professionals who help you?  Do you have any editing tips or tricks that work for you?  Tell me in the comments!




Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Her second book, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon is now available.  To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

5 comments:

  1. I just finished reading a nonfiction book by a neurosurgeon published by a traditional publisher and could not help but notice he frequently ended sentences with a preposition. When I'm reading someone else's work I habitually find mistakes. I think I came to do this auto-editing from my years as a reviewer. Since I have become so cognizant of the common errors while I write, I avoid some of the mistakes I used to make when I first began writing. MOST mistakes, but NOT all, not even on the 3rd or 4th draft. I find most mistakes after I've had some space away from the story and get the galley from the editor. So, I agree with you about needing time away from a manuscript to better edit it.

    I can understand your need for some kind words in with those criticisms, but sometimes ya just get the harsh reality straight up with no chaser. I spent many of my early years building a thick skin from criticism and learned to appreciate the unvarnished truth. It's better to get merciless criticism from an editor than from a reviewer.

    I can see where your day job as an attorney might provide you with some interesting story ideas.

    This was an insightful blog discussing the editing process writers must apply and perfect. I wish you all the best, Angela. I love your story titles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah! I hope to get better at editing and taking the criticisms straight up as time goes by - if I survive that long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Editing is hard! You're so right about that. Why can't we put down that perfect piece the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Molly! I just read several articles on "killing your darlings." So tough!

      Delete