Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2020

Just Call Me Pollyanna


Pollyanna // Noun // An excessively cheerful or optimistic person

I admit it. I'm a bit of a Pollyanna. I'm the person who is always going to try to put a positive spin on something. Why? It's a choice. In a world where the mainstream media and social media are constantly trying to tell us how horrible everything is, I'm going to be the voice in the wilderness shouting that there is still good in the world.

I gave up watching the news a couple of years ago because I realized that it was having a negative impact on me. I suffer from anxiety, which is usually fairly well controlled, but being fed non-stop negativity twenty-four/seven was causing problems. I don't know why the main stream news media has decided that it must be all negativity, all of the time. And the worse, more shocking they can make it sound, the more they seem to like it. That's okay. I can choose not to watch.

I use my author FB page as a place to post things that I find encouraging: posts about people who are working to make the world a better place, inspirational quotes, and sometimes just something silly. (Cats/animals make frequent appearances on my page.) If you're looking for outrage, political posts, etc., I'm not the person to follow. There are plenty of other folks making those posts, follow them instead. If you want to get away from all of that stuff, I'm your girl.

Oh! I almost forgot - I also occasionally post things about my books. (I am an author after all.)

Image courtesy of www.depositphoto.com

We're all familiar with the saying "you are what you eat" but you are also what you choose to surround yourself with and that includes social media. So, if you find yourself in a funk, wondering why bother with anything since everything is terrible and nothing matters, take a look at your online life. Maybe it's time for a social media cleanse - or at least a sabbatical. Time away from computer and phone screens can do wonders - I speak from experience.

So, dear readers, the lecture for this month is over. I hope you have a wonderful month and take care of yourself - you're worth it.


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join





2 comments:

  1. I love this, Isabella! It voices my truth as well. Finding the good in life is a choice. Watching the news is a choice. Not making a choice is, in fact, a choice. I don't feel I'm wrong about the world being a wonderous place. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Molly. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I'm glad I'm not alone in this belief. :)

      Delete