Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2019

And the beat goes on. By Michael E. Gonzales


In the last couple of years, I’ve not done much reading of other author’s work, though I have bought several books I do intend to read.

Recently, I read, and very much enjoyed, William Nash’s USA: Eliminated! (The Jupiter Factor Series) (Volume 1). Also, at my son’s insistence I read Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One.


What I find now is that I read other’s work with a different set of eyes, writer’s eyes, if you will.


I imagine many writers do the same (I’d hate to think I’m the odd man out). For me, I look for the beats. You know, from Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat”?


I’ll identify the tone of the story being set, the introduction of the theme, the background story, and when the author changes the world and thereby sets the story into motion.

Not a bad thing, all in all, but lately I’m reading with a highlighter, I make notes in the margins, it’s like collage all over again (without the beer and cold pizza).
 
The way I see it, if your reading a book that made it onto the New York Times best sellers list, you should pay attention. What is the author doing that I’m not? What’s the author’s style of writing? How has the author organized the story, and so on?


As I sit here typing I note the books on the shelf to my left: The Writer's Guide to Creating a Fictional Universe, Shaping the Story, Breaking into Fiction, Your First Novel, Novelist’s Boot Camp, Save the Cat, Science Fiction and Fantasy, and many more. I have found all useful, but I’m now learning from the within the pages of successful author’s works.

I really don’t want to change my writing style, but improve on it. I want to establish good writing habits and develop my inner sight to better see where the story needs to go and remain focused.

I’ve rewritten the beats, for no other reason than to clarify them for myself. I offer them here for your consideration:

·         Intro of main characters
·         Intro of villains
·         Description of situation – creation of conflict
·         Situation is bad, heroes see a path to resolution.
·         Heroes are pushed into action.
·         Initial success, just enough to get the attention of the bad guys.
·         Situation worsens for heroes.
·         Hero questions his actions.
·         Events strengthen hero’s resolve.
·         Hero’s actions raise the stakes. Love/loved ones are threatened.
·         Hero forces final conflict.
·         Hero is victorious, just barely, villain gets just deserts.
·         Heroes live happily ever after.

(I also have a version should the hero not succeed in his quest, another if he’s an anti-hero).

Please follow me, like me, and all that computer stuff:


Fire Star Press Blogspot - http://firestarpress.blogspot.com/




2 comments:

  1. I read with "author" eyes as well, especially in the genre in which I write. It can highlight ways in which we can improve our own craft. Conversely, it can also show things we *don't* want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabella, I had not stopped to consider that, but you're absolutely right. In a book I just started (and am unlikely to finish) I have made note of many things to avoid in my own writing. Doubtless why I have lost interest in the story. I haven't been looking for bad habits, but I will now. Thank you.

      Delete