Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2021

Last of the Mohicans – tough to read – great to watch by Kaye Spencer #prairierosepubs #moviesthatarebetterthanthebook

195 years ago —February 4, 1826—James Fenimore Cooper published Last of the Mohicans. It was/is the second in his five-novel series called the Leatherstocking Tales.




Source: Wikipedia, Leatherstocking Tales


I grunted my way through these books many years ago. All I can say is... Ugh. Cooper wrote about such an interesting period in American history in such a painfully dry and disjointed manner, not untypical of the time, that even though I have a soft spot in my reading heart for the dry old classics, I cringe at the thought of re-reading them.

But my interest in this story changed when the 1992 movie came out. I went from Ugh to WOW! in no time flat.


Yes, the movie reassigned names, changed names, swapped love interests, and took other great liberties with the plot, but as far as I’m concerned, every change made a huge improvement to the book.

I can’t get enough of everything about this movie version of Last of the Mohicans.

Music. Acting. Scenery. Magua. Costumes.

I will find you.





                              The ‘Final Scene – Promontory’ with the hypnotic, tension-building music.



And The Kiss—oh the kiss.

 


If these videos aren’t visible on your mobile device, it’s a result of the ‘new and improved’ Blogger interface. Below are the linked YouTube urls for your viewing convenience.

If you’re interested in Behind the Scenes Making of the Movie videos, go on YouTube and type in: Making “The Last of the Mohican” Part 1. Parts 2 and 3 will follow.

Until next time,
Kaye Spencer

Writing through history one romance upon a time

Look for Kaye here:

Facebook
Instagram
Blogging
Twitter









11 comments:

  1. AHEM...I'm Cheryl, and I am ashamed to say I have never watched this movie. WHEW. Now that that's over with, I will say that it has been on my "list" of movies to watch for a very long time. I think when it first came out I was raising kids and the only movies we went to were Disney...anyhow, I will change that SOON and "get to watchin'" this one! I love these videos you include. I know they are really hard to get on here and make them play right. I'm so glad you stuck with it and got them added for our viewing pleasure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      YES YES YES. Watch this movie as soon as possible. It's one you'll watch over and over.

      Delete
    2. I can't believe you haven't seen it. It is gut wrenching but wonderful. The soundtrack for the movie is one of the best.

      Delete
  2. It is a great movie, but I did quite enjoy the book too. The movie was way sexier than the book or the BBC drama series I saw years ago. I had no idea there were stamps issued to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.A.,

      It's been 40 years since I read the Leatherstocking Tales. I imagine I'll have a lot more patience and interest in it in a re-reading now. Yes, the movie certainly added the hotness to Cora and Hawkeye's relationship. Whew.

      Delete
  3. You should check out Mark Twain's critique of Fennimore Cooper. Gripping, riveting, vicious, and hilarious.

    W.M. Shockley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W.M.

      I will search out Twain's commentary. He does have a sharp wit. haha

      Delete
  4. For some reason my kids all loved the movies. I liked them since I’m always all in on history. My first book is about a Civil War family saga with a love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruben,

      I love the historical movies, too. I know there are liberties taken with books-to-movies, but I'm there for the entertainment value. If I need a historical documentary, I'll watch Ken Burns' productions.

      Delete
  5. The best reason for reading "The Last of the Mohicans" is to better appreciate Mark Twain's analysis of it in "Fenimore Cooper's Further Literary Offenses."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished reading Twain's critique. Oh my gosh. It was snarky. hahaha

      Delete