Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2021

Hear Ye, Hear Ye

 


In general, I'm not one to worry about the aging process. No, I'm not crazy about the loose skin on my neck or my slightly saggy jowls but I'm a low-maintenance sort of gal so you won't see me doing Botox or having surgery. As far as the fading color of my hair, many of the women in my family develop beautiful white hair as they age; I hope I will be one of them. True, I may add blue, pink, or purple streaks but that's just a way to express myself. I'm all about color and sparkle.

I'm now 58 years old and so far, I don't have too much to complain about. I've had hypothyroidism for years. I've developed a touch of arthritis in my shoulders along with some rotator cuff issues. However,I have also developed an issue that completely blindsided me: hearing loss.😲 I went in for my annual hearing check not really expecting any changes. Leaving with the recommendation that I begin wearing hearing aids really took me aback. It took me a couple of weeks to come to terms with it. Yes, my daddy was hard of hearing my entire life but he worked on jet engines in the Navy before hearing protection was required. My mama didn't suffer a noticeable hearing loss until she was in her 80s. Somehow, the thought that hearing loss might impact me at this age had never crossed my mind; hearing aids weren't even on my radar for a few more decades. 

Now that I've had a couple of months to adjust, I'm okay. Most days I even remember to wear my hearing aids, LOL. I'm also now one of those people dealing with hearing aid batteries, which seem to last a week at the most. I find it amusing that, when the batteries need changing, my hearing aids play the opening bars of Beethoven's Fifth.😂


 In true me fashion, my hearing aids are red. Even though no one sees them, knowing that that pop of color is there makes me happy.

Have any parts of the aging process caught you off guard?

Join my brand new Facebook group here: www.facebook.com/groups/1268960476808241/ 

Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

Amazon Author Page:  http://amazon.com/author/isabellanorse

Website:  http://www.isabellanorse.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IsabellaNorseAuthor/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/isabellanorse/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/isabellanorseauthor/

4 comments:

  1. Isabella, I didn't know that hearing loss could have to do with thyroid issues. My hubby tells me all the time "you're talking too softly" or says something about the tv being too loud. Maybe I need to take a page from your book and get this checked out. Of course, my thyroid tests always come back "normal" but I don't believe it. My mom had issues with it, and my niece and daughter do, as well. Great post, and if I do end up getting hearing aids you can bet they are going to be red or something snazzy like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! I don't know if my hearing loss is related to my hypothyroidism. (Although I did learn that hypothyroidism has a lot to do with how brittle my fingernails have become.) My hubby recommended that I begin getting an annual hearing check a few years ago as a baseline. I guess it's a good thing hie did. He and I are a semi-matched set now; he only has one hearing aid.

      Delete
  2. Isabella,

    I realized several years ago that my hearing had seriously deteriorated in the upper register, because I didn't hear the rattlesnake on the path where I was walking my dogs. Oops. (no one was injured, just scared spitless). I, too, will get brightly colored hearing aids when the day comes.

    I suspect hearing aids are in my not too distant future, but I'm holding my own right now.

    I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's scary! I'm glad no one was injured. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake once as I walked between my house and my grandmother's house. I'm well acquainted with being scare spitless as a result. Wearing hearing aids hasn't been anywhere near as bad as adjusting to the idea of needing them. On that note, one of mine just played the opening of Beethoven's Fifth so I'm off to change batteries. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete