Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Characters Making Surprise Visits by Sarah J. McNeal #TheWildingsSeries #TheViolin


15 Regiment Calvary

I took a character from a book outside my Wildings series, THE VIOLIN, and placed that character in FOR LOVE OF BANJO, the second book in the Wilding series. Actually, I could not resist the temptation because the time line overlapped. These two stories are not related, but they do both hold a time element that is related: World War I.

Banjo Wilding joins the U.S. Calvary to fight alongside our allies in Europe during the “Great War.” Because he’s in the Calvary, his loved ones believe him safe from the dreaded trenches in France. But Banjo’s fate is determined by Colonel William Hay (a real person) has other plans. As they sit astride their horses at the edge of the forest near the battlefield, Col. William Hay speaks to his men and gives them their orders.  
“Our English and American brothers have been fighting in those trenches for six months. They have endured every kind of discomfort for the sake of our country and freedom. I know you didn’t join the Regiment to fight in a trench, but you are brave men who know your duty. You will ride as fast as your horse can carry you toward the trenches. Some of you and your mounts won’t make it, but, for those who survive the first onslaught from America’s enemies, you will reach the trench. When you do, your orders are to dismount, and relieve a soldier, who will then ride your horse from the battlefield. You will take his place.”
This order was an historical truth.
Banjo, an experienced horseman rides Ajax to the trenches, leaps from his back, and finds a soldier to replace. Now just who is Banjo going to choose?

Left to Right: Donald, "Jimmy" (my dad), and John McNeal

Well, it came to me almost instantly. In my almost true time travel novel, THE VIOLIN, John Douglas, the hero, has a brother name Donald Lee Douglas who served in World War I. Shucks, I wasn’t about to pass up that opportunity so I slipped Donald into the scene.



EXCERPT:

Horses screamed in agony as bullets found them. Men cried out and fell to the ground with mortal wounds. Ajax sped forward, the trench just a few more yards ahead. Banjo’s heart raced; his breath hitched. Ajax moved like the wind, solid muscle and bravery beneath him.
  When they reached the trench, the stench of it gagged Banjo. He reined Ajax to a halt. A quick glance around told him only half the Regiment made it. Colonel Hay shouted the dreaded order. “Dismount!”
Banjo dismounted, grabbed his kit and gear then spoke his last words to his faithful horse. “You take this soldier out of this hell and back to his loved ones. You’re a good horse, Ajax. You take care of yourself now.” Banjo patted him one last time on the withers, then hurried to the ladder and made his way down into the pit. The soldiers in the trench were filthy and their smell almost made him retch. Their faces lit up when they saw him. Someone’s freedom had arrived. Banjo took a young soldier by the arm who couldn’t have been more than eighteen years of age.  His face was barely recognizable as human for the dirt and mud caked on it.
“What’s your name, soldier? Where do you call home?” Banjo had to raise his voice to a shout over the din of noise that surrounded him.
“Corporal Donald Lee Douglas, Sir, Thirty-second Battalion, Eighty-fifth Infantry Division under General Parker. My home is Numidia, Pennsylvania.” The lad saluted Banjo.
“No need to be formal, Corporal Douglas. I’m just a sergeant, and I’m here to relieve you.”
A white grin spread across the muddied face. He shook hands with Banjo. “Tell me the name of your family and I promise I’ll get word to them that I saw you here. It’s the least I can do for the man taking my place.”
“Maggie Wilding is my wife.” Banjo drew a piece of paper from his chest pocket. He had scribbled the address of the O’Leary ranch on it along with a short note that told Maggie he was in France, in good health, and that he loved her. “Send this note to that address and I’ll bless you every day.” Banjo glanced around at the mud and pools of rancid water in the floor of the trench illuminated by the sporadic glow of gunfire. He made a mental promise to himself and those he loved that would not die in this damned rotten ditch.
“Consider it done, Sergeant. I owe you a debt I can never repay.” The boy peered at Banjo with solemn eyes, a startling blue within his dirt-caked face.
“I hope you know how to ride a horse, Douglas. Just ride west for the tree line and you’ll be out of range.” Banjo clapped him on the shoulder. “Now, get the hell out of here before they shoot my horse.”
“Yes, sir…I mean—Sergeant.” He started up the ladder but paused on the fifth rail and turned to Banjo. What did you say your name was? I don’t want to forget. I want to be able to tell my folks the name of the man who saved my life.”
“It’s Banjo Wilding. Now, get going, Corporal Douglas, before daylight catches you.”
The lad smiled. “Thank you, I won’t forget you—not ever.” 

Toward the end of the book Donald Douglas reappears for a short, but important scene. A word about THE VIOLIN: I mentioned it is an almost true story. Most of the characters in it are real from my own ancestry though the story is completely fictional. Donald Lee Douglas was my father’s oldest brother whom I never met. He died long before I was born. His real name was Donald Lee McNeal. He was a civil engineer who worked as an inventor for Westinghouse in Pittsburg, PA, and he did, indeed, serve in World War I.



As a writer, have you ever taken a character from an unrelated book and had he or she walk onto the pages of another book you wrote? If so, what compelled you to do it?
As a reader, have you ever read a book by an author you followed in which a character (not in a series) was reintroduced into a story by the author? Do you think that character drew you deeper into the story or do you wish the author hadn’t done it?




Diverse stories filled with heart




2 comments:

  1. That brief excerpt really brought home the tragedy and horror of war. It reminded me of the movie, The War Horse (I think that's what it was called) and how important horses were in the war. I love characters popping unexpectedly into another story. When I wrote the first book of my trilogy, it was never planned to be three books. But the guys kept whispering in my ear that they wanted their own HEA. Recurring characters is like having a visit with friends. I love it. The other day I came across some brainstorming I did with myself where I have an opportunity to meet Chase in an unrelated book I'd already written. When I can find that ms, it'll be fun to do what you did with your uncle. I look forward to reading Banjo's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, The War Horse was a great movie. It came out shortly after For Love of Banjo released and I felt the same way you did.
      I know how it goes with a series. They often just happen. It really is fun to see a character appear in one story and then another. It's like reuniting with an old friend and you get curious about what's in that character's own story.
      I'd like to see what you do with Chase.
      Thank you so much for coming, Elizabeth. I always appreciate your support.

      Delete