Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2019

Turtle Writers Club



#Authorconfession: I'm a slow writer. I always have been and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

You may be thinking "But Izzy, you told us in your last post that you're now retired. Doesn't that mean you have more time to write?" Yes, I guess it does. It also means I have more time to do other things like go through the boxes that have been piled in the basement since our move two years ago and keep my grandson. I've worked full-time for most of my adult life and at this point, I'm not willing to turn my hobby into another full-time job.

I would like to say that I'm okay with being a slow writer but I'm not always. Being a slow writer in the hurry, hurry, hurry, publish more, more, more culture created by Amazon is difficult. But, I'm not alone, there are other slow writers out there. There is even a Turtle Writers twitter account created to support and encourage slow writers; the account managers post writing prompts and more. You can also find other slow writers by searching on the #turtlewriters hashtag.

Image courtesy  of www.depositphotos.com
Slow writer or not, I'll keep plugging away as long as writing is fun. Once it stops being fun, I'll stop writing. I absolutely don't believe the old saw that a "writer who doesn't write goes crazy." A writer who doesn't write does something else creative: they paint, dance, sing, open an Etsy shop or any number of other creative endeavors.

So, until next month, I'll be over here slowly tapping away.


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

2 comments:

  1. Izzy, I too am a sloooow writer. With me I get bursts of juice from my muse every once in a while. I'll sit down and just can't turn it off, for hours. I try to type faster than the images come to me, but it can't be done. It happens, but not often. Mostly I sit before the keyboard and pound away even unto the wee hours of the morning. I'm slow, but I do dedicate a lot of time to writing and it's cousin, research. It's still fun for me, and those new release dates are like a drug, I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael! I'm glad I'm not alone over here in the slow writer corner. We'll just keep tapping away - slowly. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete