Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2019

Roy Orbison's song "Only the Lonely" by Kaye Spencer #prairierosepubs #classicpop #OTD

Today in History

March 25, 1960

One of the most talented musician/singer/artist who ever was or ever will be...

Roy Orbison

...recorded the song "Only the Lonely". I can describe his voice in one word: Sublime.

Roy Orbison courtesy Wikimedia Commons license
Jac. de Nijs / Anefo, Roy Orbison (1965), CC BY 4.0

"Only the Lonely" is included in the album Lonely and Blue, which was released in 1961. This song was the first significant 'hit' for him.*

Interestingly enough, Orbison and his collaborator, Joe Melson, wrote "Only the Lonely", and offered it to Elvis Presley and the Everly Brothers, both who turned it down, but the Everly Brothers suggested Orbison record it himself. At the time, the song was titled "Know the Way I Feel", because Frank Sintra had a song in 1958 called "Only the Lonely".**

This particular song features a falsetto note that Orbison 'nailed', which gave the listeners the first exposure to the hidden power in his soft voice.

So, for your listening pleasure, here is Roy Orbison singing "Only the Lonely."




Until next time,

Kaye Spencer


 
As I don’t send a newsletter, you might consider following me on these social media venues:

Amazon Author Page | BookBub | Blog | Twitter


References:
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_the_Lonely
**https://www.songfacts.com/facts/roy-orbison/only-the-lonely-know-the-way-i-feel

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Kaye. Sublime is the most perfect word to describe Roy Orbison's voice. He was just wonderful, and I could listen to him all day long. So different, and so perfect. I love Only the Lonely. Well, heck, I love all his songs. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sublime. His voice is pleasing to the ear like a Tennessee whiskey is pleasing to the palate... smooth and eminently satisfying. ;-)

      Delete
  2. He was not a good entertainer, barely moving on stage crippled with stage fright. But that VOICE. His music is sooooooo timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timeless is such a great way to describe his music. My gosh, what a voice.

      Delete
  3. Doug and I were lucky to see him twice in concert and Deborah's right, he's not a "talker" with the audience, but that's all right, because he makes up for it the moment he opens his mouth and sings. He's one of our favorite performers since the 60's.It's Over is probably my favorite, but I love Pretty Woman,Leah, oh the list goes on. Thanks for highlighting him, Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm just a bit envious that you saw him perform. I'm grateful for YouTube. ;-)

      Delete
  4. He just stands there and sings. With his voice he didn't need anything else. I always preferred "Cryin'", but this is a very close second. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cryin'" is possibly my favorite of his songs, too. I was giddy when he sang with the Traveling Wilburys. The rocking chair with the guitar and NOT Roy in the sont "End of the Line" is really sad, but it's even sadder that since that song was recorded, we've also lost George Harrison and Tom Petty. *sniffling*

      Delete