Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2019

PLOT HOLE, by Cat Writer Mollie Hunt





 What is scarier than looking down the maw of a Siberian tiger? The plot hole*, by far.

You’ve worked your tail off writing a book. After weeks or months of fine tuning, you get it right where you like it. You dive in for that final read-through, expecting to find nothing more than a few wayward commas or duplicated words, and there it is, glaring you in the face, laughing.

You have a plot hole, and now you must go back and add, rearrange, and often change your perfect story to accommodate this nuisance.


Maybe some writers can pen a clean story with no hiccups, but I’m not one of them. Since I am a “pantser” and write without an outline, I’m often confronted by a plot hole (or holes) by the end. Some are simple to fix; others, not so much.

Though a pain in the patootie and a blow to our author ego, plot holes are not always a bad thing. In my last book, the plot hole led me to a far superior explanation for the murder motive.

And if nothing else, you can always fill your plot hole with a cat.



*In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.
Plot hole - Wikipedia

Check out more blogs by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer at:
Happy reading!


Author note: I still am unable to answer comments. Sometimes I can but most often they just fall into a black hole. I do read all comments and hope someday to figure out the problem and get it fixed. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to contact me directly, email MollieHuntCatWriter@gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I say we fill those plot holes with cats, tigers, and even a hippopotamus or two. LOL
    I am a plotter. I map out scene by scene what's going to happen next before I write. But even a plotter runs into last minute problems and epiphanies long about round 3 on final edits. Sometimes the plot I laid down turns out to be too weak and not enough to motivate my characters to move in any particular direction. I have to fix them to make the characters desperate. I love when I get a last minute epiphany. I'd be happy to rewrite an entire chapter if I got a bright and beautiful new idea during the final run.
    Your post speaks to most every writer regardless whether they are panster or plotter. Well done, Mollie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. It happens to all of us, despite our best intentions.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete