Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Valentine's Day Traditions by Angela Crider Neary


The history of Valentine’s Day and its patron saint is shrouded in mystery.  Legend has it that St. Valentine of Rome defied Emperor Claudius II’s orders and secretly married couples to spare the husbands from war.  He was arrested and imprisoned.  While awaiting execution, he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter and sent her a love note, which became the first Valentine’s card.   

Valentine’s Day as it is celebrated now is a bit of a controversial holiday if you ask me.  Some, like my husband in particular, believe it is a forced “Hallmark” holiday, or a corporate marketing ploy, where any gift or card is rendered devoid of meaning since you're damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.  If you fail to acknowledge the holiday at all, you may risk hurting your significant other’s feelings.  If you buy the typical card, flowers, or candy, this might be considered insincere or to lack originality.  

I can see where those with this mindset are coming from, but I don’t buy into it.  For me, any opportunity for a fun celebration or activity is good enough for me - especially if it involves the above-mentioned flowers and candy.  Also, how could an opportunity to remind someone of your love for them be bad?  It has been my delight over the years to send Valentine’s cards, not only to my significant other, but also to my parents, relatives, and friends, just to remind them that they are special to me.  And I’m sure many remember those grade school days when you filled out a card for each member of your class and dropped it in his or her decorated bag or basket.  

So, even if my husband refuses to celebrate, he will be getting a card and likely a small token of my great affection.  I read a statistic saying that women buy approximately 85 percent of all Valentines, so I won’t feel too bad if I don’t get one, myself.  

One year, I made chocolate truffles.


Another, I took my husband out for Champagne and oysters.


Yet another, I bought Valentine-themed soap and candles.


Last year on February 12, I experienced the horrible loss of my father.  Of course, Valentine’s Day was nowhere on my list of priorities.  In fact, I found myself in the drug store that week and was startled by all of the festive pink and red decorations that were, of course, in stark contrast to my bleak mindset.  That was probably the only year I haven’t celebrated or acknowledged Valentine’s Day in some form or fashion.  With the anniversary weighing heavily, maybe just what I need is a light-hearted holiday to take my mind off of things, even if just for a moment.  I decided to get a head start.  

I bought myself a pink “Love” T-Shirt.


And some festive heart socks.


I also received some beautiful flowers from some wonderful friends.


In the reading department, there are many Valentine’s-themed anthologies out there, as well as tons of romance novels that can easily fit the bill.  For my pick this year, I recently discovered HEARTS AND SPURS, a Prairie Rose Publications collection of nine Valentine’s Day love stories of the old west by some excellent western romance writers:  Kathleen Rice Adams, Linda Broday, Tracy Garrett, Tanya Hanson, Sarah J. McNeal, Phyliss Miranda, Cheryl Pierson, Jacquie Rogers, and Livia J. Washburn.  Kindle version only $.99!  



Do you have any special Valentine’s Day traditions?  Any plans for celebrating the holiday this year?



Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Her second book, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon is now available.  To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment