Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

New Release -- Adieu at the Zoo (A Jefferson Zoo Mystery) by Harol Marshall #firestarpress #prairierosepubs #cozymystery

The discovery of a dead body in Jefferson County Zoo’s new Wetlands exhibit turns the life of Horticulture Curator Samantha Clark upside down. Worse than that, she and her Hort tech, Jodie, find themselves implicated as possible suspects—until someone runs them off the road in an attempt to see them dead, also.

Sam believes she may be on to a trail of clues when she’s approached by one of the zoo’s wealthy private donors in what seems to be an attempt to draw her into the illegal sale of rare and endangered plants. With the help of Dan Saunders, the zoo’s Head of Security, Sam devises a plan to get to the bottom of what looks to be a murder, a suspicious disappearance, and her own near-death.

The mystery deepens when one of the zoo’s security guards goes missing. Will another dead body turn up? As things heat up between Sam and Dan, they realize they could lose everything if they can’t solve these mysteries before another murder takes place.

EXCERPT

     I parked my cart at the edge of the marsh and tromped up the boardwalk. “Hey, Jo, what’s up?”
     She leaned over the wooden railing and pointed to the concrete catch basin that traps refuse and keeps detritus from contaminating the lake when the waters overflow.
     “Have a look,” she said.
     I bent over the railing and blinked wildly. A large sheet of black plastic tied with strands of rope stuck halfway into the catch basin. A few inches of water lay in the bottom of the trough. Protruding from the far edge of the plastic I could see a pair of mottled, purplish-gray human feet. An Eastern Box Turtle nibbled away on the big toe of the left foot. Jodie pried the turtle off with the handle of her rake and moved it away, but the stubborn creature crawled right back and snagged another toe.
     “What the—” I nearly bit off my tongue for the second time that evening.
     “Yeah,” Jodie said, with a grim shake of her head, “see why I told you we had an emergency here?”

     

10 comments:

  1. Harol, I'm always excited to see what you will come up with next, and I'm never disappointed! I've never read a mystery that centered around a zoo, and this one had me captivated from the very beginning. Love this title, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl for all your help and support! You've inspired me to get to work on finishing the next zoo book, which I've tentatively titled, "Zoo Brew-ha-ha." Will keep you posted. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea, setting a mystery around a zoo. Think of all the possibilities for accidents and disposal of the bodies. I must have a look at this one. Congratulations on your release, Harol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Zoo's are a great setting for almost any story, but a little more challenging when it comes to murder mysteries as you might imagine!

      Delete
  3. I like the concept of a murder mystery involving a zoo.
    I wish you all the best with Adieu at the Zoo. Also, a clever title, Harol Marshal. BTW, is the name Harol, a family name? I have never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Sarah. My father named me after his brother and dropped the 'd' at the end of Harold. I only wish I had a dollar for every time I've explained my name with, "it's Carol with an H or Harold without the D. I'd be rich! :-) One wise guy I met recently kept calling me Carol with an H. (not that funny IMHO)

      Delete
  4. Harol,

    Murder mysteries are fun to read. I'd never be able to write one, though, because I'd give away too many clues too early in the story. lolol

    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaye. As for writing a mystery--you never know until you try!

      Delete
  5. Love this book and I think they did a great job with the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Agnes. I'm sure there are plot ideas in that book that came from you, the Master Plotter. :-)

      Delete