Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Life in the Slow Lane



I believe we all have that one special place that soothes our soul and fills us with peace. For me, it's the mountains. I've been to the mountains, in various locations, on countless occasions. On each trip, I eagerly await the appearance of the first peaks in the distance. As soon as they come into view, I sigh and peace flows through me, any worry and stress falling away.

My husband is a beach guy. His family spent a week at the same beach every summer. He's natural for the beach - he loves the water and tans easily. We've made several trips to the beach of his childhood many times since our marriage but it was always a bit of a struggle for me. I'm both a non-swimmer and a fair-skinned redhead. I practically burst into flames in direct sunlight, even when coated in SPF 50+ sunscreen. I also suffer from an irrational fear of sharks. Three days at the beach was about all I could handle. At that point, I was ready to go home even if it meant leaving the rest of the family behind, LOL.

 There is SO much truth in this image courtesy of How to be a Redhead

However, over the years, things have changed. My husband has learned to enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains as much as I do. As for me, I have learned to enjoy the beach. I still can't swim and have to take extreme measures to avoid blistering sunburn. What changed? I discovered the joy of fossil hunting. The first shark's tooth I found ignited something in me. I guesstimate that I've found a few hundred shark's teeth over the years. I've found other items that I knew must be some sort of fossil but never knew what they were. On our last trip to the beach, one of our fellow campers was also a fossil enthusiast; he was able to identify a couple of my mystery fossils: puffer fish plates and pieces of a sting ray barb. I also found some sort of vertebrae that had him stumped. My biggest find (literally), was the large tooth in the picture below.

Fossilized Great White tooth

So, while you are reading this post, I will be scouring the waterline in search of more fossilized finds. I can't wait!

What is your favorite vacation location?


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join




3 comments:

  1. Isabella,

    I'm not a vacationer, but I do understand about those special places that brings us peace and recharge our inner batteries when we're able to spend time there. For me, it's anywhere I can see the expanse of the prairie with the gently rolling hills and the setting sun. Since I live in such a place, I'm fortunate to be in my happy location. (your redhead enjoying the beach image made me laugh out loud)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post, Isabella, because it is something I used to do so often before I retired from the stress of Acute Care Nursing. Because I live about the same distance from the mountains and I do from the beach, I could choose between either landscape easily.
    My husband and I used to go every year in October to buy honey, apple cider, and a pumpkin in Blowing Rock, NC or visit Asheville.
    My greatest love is the beach. I visited the fishing village at Top Sail Island every chance I got. I have pale Celtic skin so I never did the sunbathing thing (like your redhead at the beach scenario). I love the sound of the ocean waves rippling against the shore, the dolphins playing in the surf, and finding sea glass along the shore. I liked swimming, but I was always concerned about sharks. LOL I would often sit on my old coverlet under a big umbrella and just enjoy the peace the ocean brought to me. We often rented a house and stayed for days. Once each trip I would go into Wilmington and eat at restaurants, see the historic sites, and shop at the Cotton Exchange. Just thinking about it brings me such serenity. I don't get there much any more, but I love my memories of it.

    A delightful blog, Isabella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your blog, Isabella. It seems to be true that opposites so often attract. My husband and I are the same. We've wintered ten minutes from the Florida Gulf Coast for several years and that brings me joy. But give me a porch swing anyplace in the world and I'm totally happy. Some of my best story plots were created in porch swings. Thank you for a thought-provoking subject.

    ReplyDelete