Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Camp NaNoWriMo


For my very first post for Fire Star Press I wrote about National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and why it works for me. This month I'm writing about NaNoWriMo's lesser known younger sibling - Camp NaNoWriMo.

NaNoWriMo occurs every November while Camp NaNoWriMo takes place in April and July each year. Elder sibling NaNoWriMo is the extrovert in the family and arrives on the scene with fanfare and confetti, shouting "Here I am!" Camp NaNoWriMo is more introverted and enters the room quietly, not calling attention to itself but willing to chat with anyone who expresses an interest. Camp NaNoWriMo is so quiet I actually forgot about it until the day before it started!


So, how does Camp NaNoWriMo differ from regular NaNoWriMo? Camp is far more relaxed. Instead of everyone working toward the same 50,000 word goal during the month, each camper sets their own goal. Also, instead of connecting to others through "writing buddies" and forums, campers are divided into cabins. Each cabin has a message board allowing campers to communicate and cheer each other to the finish line.

If you've been following my posts you know that writing has been a struggle for me over the past couple of years as my husband and I lost all three of our remaining parents. While things have gotten better, I'm still not back to writing as regularly as I would like. So, I'm hoping Camp NaNoWriMo will help me get back on track. I have set my goal for the month at a modest 15,000 words. Fifteen thousand words added to Dances with Werewolves, the next story in my Kudzu Korners series, will get the length up to where I want it to be without being an over the top goal. Fifteen thousand words is only an average of one thousand words per night for fifteen nights. Easy peasy, right?

Wish me luck! And, if you're interested in joining the fun you can sign up at campnanowrimo.org.

Until next month, happy reading (and writing)!


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

1 comment:

  1. Isabella,

    I've been a NaNoWriMo-er and a NaNo-Camper for many years, but I haven't gotten over to the April camp yet. I may be able to pitch a tent this weekend. Time got away from me.

    ReplyDelete