Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2018

An editor is an absolute necessity. By Michael E. Gonzales


Across a Sea of Stars by Michael E. Gonzales – April, 2018 #blogabookscene #Spaceopera #PrairieRosePub @PrairieRosePub #FireStarPress #sciencefiction

I realize that for the most part I’m speaking to the experienced (“preaching to the choir”). I hope that this blog may be seen by new authors, and that they may benefit from it.


Who among us has not prepared a story for publication and in doing so read it dozens upon dozens of times? Checking spelling, punctuation, making those endless little tweaks. Perhaps even rewriting a few pages, scenes, whole chapters?

Have you not come to a point where you almost had the entire manuscript memorized? Were you not absolutely convinced that your work was as polished as it could be. Perfect, in every aspect, and ready for the printed page!

Yet, your publisher, in her infinite wisdom, insists you employ the
talents of a professional editor!

"Outrageous!"  I, as a neophyte writer declared.

I decided to do that which I knew for certain was unnecessary, because I was willing to do anything to see my words in print, I succumbed and sent my precious manuscript off to the recommended editor.

I was surprised at how long the editor took to respond. I had assumed I would almost instantly receive an email praising me for fabulous work, expounding on my brilliant elucidation of complex scientific principles, raves on my unique story, my ability to develop a character, to build worlds in the reader's mind.

Impatient, I sent out an email casually inquiring how she was proceeding, to wit, “What the Hell’s take’n you so long? Don’t you recognize genius when you see it?”

Almost a month later I received my manuscript back. Though in ‘word’ I was amazed at all the virtual blood she bleed on my poor story. “This is not a murder mystery!” I shouted (awaking my poor wife who was not quite yet accustomed to the eccentricities I was to develop as a writer).

As I went through my perfect manuscript, now reduced to emergency room waste, I was shocked to discover misspellings, and punctuation errors. To compound my embarrassment, she’d gone as far as to suggest countless little tweaks and recommend the rewriting of entire pages, scenes, and whole chapters!

I was aghast.

I had to reread it twice, then submit myself to a cool down period. And a few days in the company of Lord Glenlivet.

Then epiphany befell me as does a ton of brick! She was right. Absolutely right on ninety-eight percent of her calls (no, not a hundred percent, I did a few things right).

I accepted the recommended corrections, this made the publisher happy. The book was published and so I am happy.

The moral to this tale is…listen to your publisher when she demands an editor and listen to your editor when she suggests changes.

My story is still my story and published. And we writers know how difficult that is in this day and age.

I submit all my manuscripts to my beloved editor now. Trust between a writer and his/her editor is essential. Once you have it, hang on to it.

###

Below is an excerpt from my novel, Across a Sea of Stars. This is a scene that on its face seems quite simple, but one I mused over for days. Still, there was something about the finished product that just didn’t work. I could not see the problem, but my editor saw it instantly and I could not have been more pleased with her suggestion.

You save me from the morka, and if you hadn't volunteered to
assist me, I feel sure I would have died in those woods."
"No Cris, I did not see that in your future."
"My future? You saw my future?"
"Not as you think, more like when you see clouds that you know will bring rain."
"So, what did you see?"
"Just possibilities. This event with your leg almost brought those possibilities to a harsh end. Nothing is carved upon the side of the mountain that cannot be eroded away, Cris."
Cris had trouble getting to sleep that night. The world around him was filled with strange sounds. The light of the dancing flames from the torches and fire pots created bizarre shadows against every surface he could see.

###


Order Across a Sea of Stars here:
https://www.amazon.com/Across-Sea-Stars-Unborn-Galaxy/dp/1984038060/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=httpliviajwac-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=b14117cef21e9d34ec121910787c5d19&creativeASIN=1984038060

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Moon-Rising-Unborn-Galaxy-ebook/dp/B01CBNSAEG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Broken-Moon-Unborn-Galaxy/dp/1540645681/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Web site:  http://www.mikegonzalesauthor.com/home.html
Follow me on Face Book:  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010275572869


Labels: Across a Sea of Star, Action, Action Adventure, Alien worlds, Aliens, battle, Dark Moon Rising, Michael E. Gonzales, mikegonzalesauthor.com, Romance, science fiction, syfy, FireStarPress, NewRelease, Across a Sea of Star, Action, Action Adventure, Adventure, Alien woman, Alien worlds, Aliens, Magic, Prairie Rose Pub, robots, Romance, science fiction, Space Opera, witches and wizards

11 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Editing: love it or hate it. There is no middle ground. But in the end, we must approach edits as the icing that makes the cake taste better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't understand the truth of it until I got that that first manuscript back from the editor. I was amazed, after all the polishing I'd done. Now I am a devotee of editing, and I currently have a remarkable editor I hope to hang onto.

      Delete
  2. I've learned how to be a better writer because of editors. Those objective eyes can make a huge difference to the quality of our work.
    I have only encountered one editor who almost single handedly destroyed my work. She was a replacement editor with an old publisher of mine who had no understanding of metaphor or analogy. It was a disaster. Soon after that the publisher decided to only publish erotica...and that was when I left to find a publisher and editor I could trust and respect.
    I love the way you wrote this article, Michael. It was fun to read and I loved the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      What a horror story!
      No understanding of metaphor or analogy? How does a person like that get a job as an editor? Then your publisher turned to erotica? That sound like the basis for a good "who done it!"

      Editors, every-one Iv'e usered has saved and in handeced my menuscript. tank god four em! ;)

      Delete
  3. Like you, I hope this rticle reaches new writers. Everyone needs an editor! (a good editor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if I'd had an editor reading my comment, they would have told me I'd left out the "a" in "article."

      Delete
    2. I've already been in contact with a young writer for whom the use of an editor was as alien as half the characters in my novels! He's seeking one out now. That is a rewarding feeling.

      Delete
  4. Mike -

    I have to say, this post made me smile from deep down. I have enjoyed working with you to add the sparkly alien faerie dust to your intriguing and entertaining stories. You have some awesome stories to share with the masses, and just need that outsider point of view to fully develop your story into something to be proud to have your name attached to.

    And editors (well, at least myself) don't necessarily take immense pleasure in slicing and dicing up stories.... or do we? Hmmmm. lol

    I have to say, getting to see how you struggle and then finally have that light-bulb moment in figuring out how to fix this/that/something else and make it shine? I do take pride in knowing I had a little part to play in that and watching you succeed. It's your story - your voice - just cleaner, stronger, sparkly alien faerie dust covered.

    ~Michelle

    P.S. I hope you keep me, too! haha!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL, Michelle, I never thought you'd see this. Well, I meant every word. I've always employed an editor and see your services as invaluable. I like your style, and how honest you are with me, so...yeah, you're a keeper. :)

      Delete