Search This Blog

Monday, October 2, 2017

I slept and dreamt - Michael E. Gonzales


I slept and dreamt I was in a spell, and fell into darkening well.

Or did I float and rise into that inky ether where the stars reside?

In a ship with billowing sails I rode

Past the Moon, and stars, beyond the wheel within which they strode.

A land unknown was shown to me, a land of beauty, but hard as stone.

Here great evil’s trumpet did resound, I ran until I fell to ground.

Flight or fight? I took my stand. Would I live or die? I could not tell.

The painful battle was a bloody hell, that pushed me to a darkening well.

Into the pit I fell, and fell, sure that I was soon to die.

At length I rose into a star filled sky.

Where a single dove was passing by.

Upon her wings of velvet snow, she led me to a land where naught but love did grow.

My hurts healed, by fever calmed, by lips as soft as the light of dawn.

From my dreaming I awoke, at the light of the accursed sun did I look.

Now, my tears stained the pages, as I closed my book.

--MG

4 comments:

  1. Michael,

    What a lovely poem. Do you have others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that much underserved compliment.
      In truth, Kaye, this was my first attempt, ever, at poetry.
      While considering what to write in my blog I recalled reading a debate; e-books vs. real books.
      “That will be my subject!” I announced to a house full of sleeping family.
      I opened up a blank “page” in word, and while gathering my thoughts, the muse came upon me.
      The result was this poor rhyme.
      Just as I posted it, I think I heard the Bard weep.

      Delete
    2. Michael,

      I'm not successful at writing poetry. Every attempt turns into a Limerick. *snort*

      "...I think I heard the Bard weep." <<>

      Seriously, though, the description and allusion in your poem created a vivid image for me.

      Delete