Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2021

Dear Interwebs

Wow. Where did June go? July is starting off just as hectic so this month I'm cheating and sharing a previously published post from my blog.


Dear Interwebs,

We need to talk. This has been building for a while and no, it’s not me. It’s you. What? You don’t understand? You thought everything was fine? Well, let me see if I can spell it out for you.

  • No, I do not want to stay logged in.
  • No, I do not want you to send me notifications.
  • No, I do not want you to remember my  password.
  • No, I do not want to chat. Please stop asking every few seconds. If by some chance I change my mind, I know where to find you.
  • No, I do not want to log in using Facebook or Google or any other third party.
  • Yes, I know your site uses cookies. Everyone’s site uses cookies. Yes, I know it's a legal thing; it's still annoying.
  • No, I don’t want to sign up for “email deals” just because I visited your site. Once again, if I change my mind, I know where to find you.
  • Stop with the snarky “No, I don’t want to save money, etc.” messages when I don’t want to give you my email address. It’s not a good look for you.
  • No, I’m not a robot but please stop with the “chose the pictures that show whatever” collages; they’re unnecessarily stressful.
  • I don’t want to have to close several pop-ups and scroll past videos just to read an article on your site. You’re not that special.
  • Auto-play videos will immediately put you on my “never visit this site again” list. Seriously. Why do you think I need to be forced to watch a video on how Himalayan Pink Salt is “made”? It’s salt; it already exists, it’s not being made. On another note, I simply don’t care.

Thanks for listening. I would like to think that you will take my words to heart and change. However, I’m not going to hold my breath.

Signed,

Me

What drives you crazy when you're online?

1 comment:

  1. There are several things that I don't like about the internet. I don't like when people ask to friend me on Facebook, and then try to sell me something, step on my timeline with their thanks for friending me advertisement, or have some belief that my Facebook page is a dating site, or immediately send me a request to like their Facebook page.
    It aggravates me that I try to support other authors by visiting their blogs and Facebook pages with comments, but they don't reciprocate.
    I don't like cyber trolls ho make snarky statements and then disappear.
    So, as you can see, I have some of the same dislikes you have plus some others. The internet is full of scammers and predators.
    Good post, Isabella.

    ReplyDelete