Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

End-of-Writing Rituals

It’s so satisfying to type those two short words, “The End,” after pouring your heart into a short story or novel for weeks, months, or perhaps even years.  I’m reminded of the opening scene from one of my favorite movies, Romancing the Stone.  Romance author, Joan Wilder, celebrates the completion of her latest novel with a glass of wine, then tosses her glass into the fireplace, followed by her cat’s plate when he finishes his special tuna dinner.  Here is a (low quality) YouTube video of the scene if you’ve forgotten it. 


There are many feelings you might experience at the end of a project, like happiness, satisfaction, relief, or even worry about what comes next - should you take a break, immediately get started with editing, or move on to your next project?  I’ve heard several writers advise that you should allow yourself a treat, like some frivolous shopping or a nice dinner out, and then take a short break from the project to give yourself some perspective.  


I, myself, feel relieved, happy, and a sense of accomplishment when I complete a writing project.  I haven’t developed a specific ceremony to acknowledge the occasion, so need to work on that.  I like rituals and believe they’re an important part of commemorating an accomplishment (or even a Sunday afternoon).  The glass in the fireplace routine would likely not go over well for me, however, with my gas fireplace and its ceramic glass cover, so I’ll have to think of something else.  Including my cat in the observance sounds appealing. 

 

We all know typing, “The End,” is not really the end, as the work will likely require re-reading, editing, writer group critiques, etc.  But just getting the first draft done is cause enough for celebration.


Do you have an end-of-writing ritual?  What do you do to celebrate finishing a writing project, or any other big project, for that matter?





Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Her second book, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon is now available.  To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

6 comments:

  1. Angela,

    My "The End" ritual does double duty as a "Signed a Contract" ritual. I wait until dark and go outside with sparklers and whatever beverage I'm in the mood for at the moment. When I'm done playing with sparklers, I attend to my drink. Sometimes I'm alone when I do this, and other times, my husband or another family member shares the celebration with me.

    Romancing the Stone is such a fun movie. I like Joan Wilder's ritual, too, but I don't have a fireplace. I do have cats, and each one would be delighted to have a whole can of tuna. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an amazing way to celebrate, Kaye! I haven't played with sparklers since I was a kid, but I need to break them out next time I finish a story. What a great idea!

      Delete
  2. I need to get myself a ritual. I'm too riddled with self-doubt when I finish to believe I'm really finished. I love the idea of Kaye's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never feel like I’m finished and could edit forever, but it would feel nice to have something to celebrate the moment.

      Delete
  3. I give a big sigh of relief when I finally get to the end of a first draft. I don't think I have ever felt satisfied at the end of anything I've written; I feel it's not good enough yet. I might take a day off, but I get back to work on it to polish it, make corrections, and worry over it. It's hard for me to let go of it enough to submit it until I have worried it to death.
    I never really thought about having a ritual to celebrate the end. I might feel more festive when I've signed a contract. I need to think about that just a bit. Maybe I should come up with something decadent to do. I'm certainly not going to throw any wine glasses into the fire. Besides the loss of some expensive crystal, I don't really drink wine very much. Maybe indulge in some ice cream and a movie on Netflix. I'm more like Christine--I'm "riddled with self-doubt" to really celebrate.
    Talking about ending celebrations has certainly been an interesting topic, Angela. I love the titles of your mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I agree - I have felt a lot more excited upon signing a contract than when finishing a work. This must be because the work is done and has been accepted. Another cause for celebration!

      Delete