Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

New Release Broken Arrow (Banyon Pride Series Book 2) by Donna L. Stephens

 

When Laila Sutton’s father dies, she is left scrambling to try to figure out how to hold on to their rundown Arkansas farmhouse, her childhood home.  Baking cookies and gathering eggs to sell is not going to be much of a livelihood for her. Now that she no longer has the responsibility of caring for her ill, alcoholic father, she is going to have to go to work at MeeMaw’s Diner just to survive.

Just when it seems things can’t get any worse, her father’s attorney informs her that, in his revised will, her father has deeded half of the house and property to their wealthy neighbor, Cleve Atwell—and the only way she can gain it back is to marry him! But Laila dreams of dark-eyed Sky Banyon, a local veterinarian and childhood classmate who has returned from Wyoming recently to their hometown of Mulberry.

In turmoil, Laila knows Sky is the last man she should want to turn to—he’s hurt her before. But could things be different this time? A stolen kiss that touches her soul makes her believe they could.  Though Cleve offers her the security she needs to survive, she doesn’t love him. It rankles that she’s living in a house which is now half his—and she suspects Cleve somehow manipulated her sick father.

When Sky hires Laila to tutor his nine-year-old son, Blaze, he confides in her about his unhappy marriage and the death of his wife. Laila begins to understand him, and her own heart, better than she ever has before. With her wedding to Cleve set to take place in less than a month, Laila knows she can’t hold off forever. Is there a future for her with Sky? Though he’s never told Laila he loved her, the kiss they shared said more than mere words ever could…but is it too late?   


EXCERPT


     When he stood, his tall frame loomed over her. “Lai?” his voice growled.
     She looked up. He had a neat moustache and short beard, and his dark hair curled around his ears just below his felt fedora. His cheekbones were planed sharp, his eyes a deep brown behind his rounded tortoise shell glasses. She frowned. Could it be?
     “Sky? Sky Banyon?” Laila swallowed.
     “Yes. I came back to our Arkansas ranch. Been in Wyoming several years.” He reached out his hand to shake hers. “Laila Sutton,” he said, his voice taking on a light tone. “Will wonders never cease? I thought you’d probably left our small town by now. Good to see—”
     It was Sky, all right. She hid her hand behind her back. “Get out,” she said, her voice clipped. “Move away from my dog.”
     “Please forgive me, Lai.”
     “My name is Laila,” she said, frowning.
     He took off his hat and raked back his hair. “I’m really sorry. I came careening around the corner in my truck, my mind on getting to work, not thinking about anything running out in front of me.” He gave a long sigh. “Your hound needs stitches. But he should heal just fine.”
     “I can’t believe you’ve done it again.” Laila glared up at him, her hand caressing the beating pulse in Jag’s neck. “Wasn’t once enough? You let my other dog die ten years ago. Daisy should’ve lived.”

     


14 comments:

  1. Donna, I am really enjoying your Banyon Pride series! Loved this story about Laila and Sky and am looking forward to the next installment in this trilogy. So glad to have you with us here at Fire Star Press! Congratulations on your release of BROKEN ARROW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, thank you so much for your kind, encouraging words! It’s such a joy for me to be a part of Fire Star Press with you, Livia, and all of these amazing writers! So glad that you loved this story!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your latest book, Donna. The dead got got me in the feels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Donna. Release day is always so exciting. This sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you, my dear writer friend! It’s great that we share this same excitement—a wonderful feeling!

      Delete
  4. Donna,
    Congratulations! A stolen kiss. Complications on the way to the altar. A last minute change to a Will. As the Grateful Dead warned, trouble ahead, trouble behind...*wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, many thanks! Yes, entangled in trouble and fighting to get loose. (smile)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Jim, thank you very much! And happy writing, my friend!

      Delete
  6. Donna, sorry I'm a bit late, but your excerpt caught me and grabbed hold. WOW! Looking forward to an exciting read. Great cover too. Wishing you much success--it's sure to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, as you can see, I’m a bit late too. Please forgive. I’m thrilled that my BROKEN ARROW excerpt grabbed your attention! I really hope you enjoy reading my book. Livia did a wonderful job designing my cover. It’s beautiful and true to my characters. Thanks so much! I’m so excited to be a part of this great group of writers!

      Delete
  7. I loved your story line; it's perfect for a budding romance. I love a hero who wears glasses. Great excerpt.
    What is the theme of your Banyon Pride series? Is it a family sage or something else?
    I wish you every success, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, thank you so much! So glad you noticed Sky’s glasses. It was really fun at the beginning of a love scene when I could have Sky remove his glasses and twirl his fedora hat to a nearby table;) The hero in each of my books in the Banyon Pride Series is one of the three Banyon brothers from the Rocking B Ranch, which has been in the family since the 1800s. I wish you blessings and success too, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete