Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Our Literal Virtual Reality

It’s been about five months since the “quarantine” started and, if you’re like me, you haven’t been out much.  A friend of mine, who also regularly stays home other than going out for necessities, recently told me that at the beginning of everything, she was at a loss as to how to fill her hours/days of free time outside of work.  At 10:00 a.m. on the weekend, she and her husband would look at each other and say, “What are we going to do for the next eight hours until dinner?”  They are big sports fans and were used to spending their weekend days with whatever game was on TV in whatever sports season it might be.  So they were understandably feeling a large hole in their weekend lives at the time.    

I didn’t have that problem, and the isolation at home didn’t bother me too much at the beginning.   What could be better for an introvert who likes to read and write than to stay home and indulge in those activities?  Forcing myself to get ready and out of the house for an event was a thing of the past.  But as the days, weeks, and months have worn on, I’ll admit to feeling a bit of wear and tear, a general restlessness.  


Everyone has had to adapt in their own way to find things to do to keep productive and/or entertain themselves in their free hours.  Some have chosen to get out and about in the real world and take advantage of the socially distant amusements that are available.  For me, I have been enthralled by all of the virtual options that immediately became available when everyone found themselves “locked down” and without their normal after-work or weekend diversions.  


I began by participating in Zoom fitness classes.  The studio I had previously attended in person immediately started offering classes online - that you can take from the comfort and privacy of your own home!  So easy just to throw down a mat, pick up some weights (or soup cans as the case may be) and go.  


Then there are the online happy hours.  Before, I rarely Face-Timed with friends or relatives, but now it’s a regularly scheduled event.  I’m not sure why I wasn’t doing this before since most of my close friends and relatives live in another state and I rarely get to see them in person even in normal times.  Probably because people were so busy before they were forced to stay home that there was no hope of scheduling a virtual happy hour that everyone could attend.  I hope these will remain when things get back to normal.    


I have also taken a few Zoom cooking classes with some local friends hosted by a local chef.  It was great being able to cook in your own kitchen, but at the same time chat with friends and ask questions of the chef.  My sports-fan friend started cooking via Zoom with her kids who live in other cities so they can try out different recipes and share meals together as a family.  


I also discovered Facebook Live for live (hence the name) music concerts 


Better Than Ezra singing in our living room


and author interviews, book tours, and readings.  


Murder by the Book coming to me through my iPhone



Other options are virtual literary salons, book clubs, podcasts, and many more that I’m sure I’m missing.  I will even be attending the Bouchercon World Mystery Convention virtually this year.  You can mirror the event on your TV in the living room, or play it on your phone, tablet, or laptop in the back yard (or kitchen if you’re cooking!).  


Although most of these events are recorded and the recording is offered later if you happen to miss the live version, I find that the “live” aspect is most appealing.  It allows you to interact with others, for example, to ask questions of the chef, author, or fitness instructor.  It also provides a modicum of accountability if you are exercising and might be too lazy to fully participate unless the instructor is watching you (not me, of course).  


Nothing beats in-person events, and I miss music concerts and Bouchercon the most.  But until these are back, I will enjoy all the virtual options that are out there.  (And don’t get me started on the take-out margaritas - although those are not virtual, so maybe for another post!)


What have you been doing in your free time and do you have any virtual options that you would recommend?





Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Her second book, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon is now available.  To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. I too have been enjoying some completely different entertainment in the form of Zoom meet-ups: actors in their homes, livestreaming news, etc. There is much more I'd like to do, but I spend so much time on the computer as it is...
    I'm glad you are entertaining yourself. These new things should be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you’re enjoying some Zoom time. You’re right about computer time, though. Way too much right now!

      Delete