Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

AN INTRODUCTION By Sarah J. McNeal

Author Sarah J. McNeal



Since this is my first post on the Fire Star Press blog, I would like to introduce myself to you. Some of you may already know me from my monthly posts on the Prairie Rose Publications blog or from comments on blogs here from time to time. Because I have so many books published under the Fire Star Press imprint, I am going to be posting on the second Tuesday every other month here alternating with posts on the 2nd Tuesday every other month at the Prairie Rose blog.

I retired from critical care nursing in 2009 and have devoted my time to writing ever since I retired. I started writing and submitting fiction way back when I was 13. I've had many rejections from those earlier years before I was finally published. Like most of you I have worked to improve my craft and have experienced some other publishing companies along the way. I had some low times and high times, but I never quit. Probably any successful writer has had to stay the course over the years to get where they are today. I  was lucky enough to publish with Rebecca Vickery's publishing company and, when she had to close her company due to her health, I found a home at Prairie Rose Publishing when Cheryl Pierson and Livia Reasoner opened their doors. I feel pretty dang lucky to be a part of this company.

I am contracted with Fire Star Press for the last 2 books in the Legends of Winatuke series. The first 3 books of this fantasy/medieval series have already been published: The Witch-Queen, Cursed, and Quest for the Light of Valmora.

I look forward to getting to know all of you much better. I've read most of the posts here so I have a bit of knowledge about each of you already. I think I'm going to truly enjoy my time here.






The Witch-Queen

Legends of Winatuke, book1

Sarah J. McNeal

Fire Star Press

Buy Links: Paperback   Kindle


The legend begins when love and evil collide.


Excerpt: (Isadore and Prince Gabriel)

Isadore reached the bottom of the stair and made her way with tentative care down the narrow passage to the prisoner's cell. She had never ventured this far before. The dungeon was an awful place. It smelled of damp stone, urine, and fear.

In the shadows of the cell, she made out the Nimway's form as he stood facing the wall beyond the iron bars with his back to her. He stood tall with a broad back that tapered to a narrow waist and hips. From his back sprang two large, yellow wings etched in black. They reminded her of the stained glass windows now falling from their frames in the abandoned chapel of the north wing. The glow from a burning torch shone through his hair and, in spite of its unkempt length and its need of washing, it gleamed like a golden halo in the flickering torchlight. There he stood, magnificent and beautiful, the Heir Apparent to the throne of Valmora, Prince Gabriel of Fionn.

He must have sensed her presence because he started to turn toward her. Her heart pounded against her ribs. She could not catch her breath. Inside her mind her thoughts ran in excited disarray. But a smart rap on her shoulder gained her immediate attention. A gasp escaped her when she turned to find her mother standing close behind her. Mahara had found her out. "What do you think you are doing, Isadore?" Her black eyes darkened and narrowed with suspicion. Without waiting for an answer she grabbed Isadore’s hand in a painful grasp and jerked her around. "Come with me NOW," Mahara commanded.

Excerpt: (Prince Raphael and Rose)

He gazed into her frightened eyes. "You must never take my world, the Nimway or the Black Blood Clan so lightly. There are battles being fought between good and evil every day of which you know nothing." He clasped her arms tightly in his hands. "So know this: Mahara wants one thing more than any other—your father. She has the blood lust. She will use any means that will get her what she wants.. Raven managed to slip through her hands and, worse, he took his true love with him. If you think, she has forgotten this affront you are very much mistaken. She never forgets. Even now, she is thinking of a way to take revenge, and when she figures out how to carry out her diabolical plan, God save us all."

He loosened his grip on her arms and noticed with dismay the red marks his hands had made. Raphael bent down and kissed the marks on her arms. She sighed then leaned her head back with her eyes closed. He could not help himself as he embraced her in his arms. She dropped her head on his chest and wove her arms around his waist. His heart hammered in his chest. "I am sorry." He spoke softly in her ear. His breath caught as he removed the yellow, plastic clip from her hair and released its dazzling brilliance that fell to her waist in flowing locks of fiery copper.

It was almost painful being in her embrace. She held on to him because she was afraid. He knew that. But the nearness of her made him drunk with joy all the same. He tangled his hand in her hair and slowly lowered his mouth to hers. She responded to his kiss and Raphael burned with desire somewhere between heaven and hell. Oh God, how I want her, how I love her. If only there was some way—



CURSED 

Legends of Winatuke, book 2

By Sarah J. McNeal

Fire Star Press

Buy Links:



The Legend continues with A Curse…A Quest…and Undying Love.

 Excerpt:


Emma held her breath. Something is wrong. Her heart began to pound against the confines of her ribs. Is someone in the apartment? She didn't have a gun or mace, or even a sharp object like a pencil nearby to protect herself. Maybe if she could quietly move across the kitchen she could grab a butcher knife from the drawer beside the sink. Every nerve in her body became electrified. Her muscles tensed with dread.

Out of the darkness, a big hand grabbed her by the shoulder. She took in a ragged breath. Her heart pounded in her ears. What to do now? Her vocal cords froze in her throat as the intruder turned her around to face him. She heard herself whimper and hated her weakness.

"Please don't hurt me," she whispered in a shaky voice.

She heard gruff laughter. "Why would I want to hurt you, Emma?" A light switched on and there, in the glow of a forty-watt incandescent bulb, stood the tall figure of Hawk McKnight. He appeared wild and dangerous, as if he'd walked out of a medieval movie scene. Dressed in a loose, white shirt open halfway down his broad chest and a short leather jacket with sleeves attached by strips of rawhide graced with buttons carved from what looked like horn or bone down the front he grinned at her. Around his slim waist was a wide, leather belt with a dagger tucked in it and a leather bag hanging from his left hip. In a scabbard across his back rested a heavy broadsword which looked as perilous as the man. Emma knew by his attire he must have recently come from that other place where his family and friends originated…Winatuke.



Quest For The Light Of Valmora 

Legends of Winatuke, Book 3

By Sarah J. McNeal

Fire Star Press

BUY: Kindle   Paperback



A quest for a magical light...A Gypsy’s love…And a warrior’s sacrifice



Without further comment, he scooped her up in his arms and waltzed with her to the place directly in front of the musicians. Falcon caught Peregrine's eyes and saw in them indifference. Anger swelled inside him. Peregrine could be such an ass. Didn't he care that Falcon danced with Izabelle much too close? What did Izabelle see in his apathetic brother who displayed nothing of the concern or interest he should in this astonishing woman?

Well, things are about to change.

Falcon dipped Izabelle low with only his arm to keep her from falling. He leaned over her body draped across his arm and inhaled her sweet essence floating on the night air. Her breath hitched and her eyes glittered in the dim light as she peered at him, those eyes wide and bright with surprise.

He lowered his mouth and touched his lips to hers.


Diverse stories filled with heart











6 comments:

  1. It's nice to meet you, Sarah, or should I say meet you again. Yes, I know your name from comments. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mollie. This is going to be an exciting change for me so I'm looking forward to it.
      I'm glad you remembered me. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Sarah we are so glad to have you with us at PRP!!! Gosh, we have known each other for so long and I’m glad we’re friends as well! Love your work, dear lady! Xoxo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, because of you I found a good publisher (at last) with Rebecca, and then a happy home at PRP.
      Yes, we have come a long way in our friendship and I am most happy to have your positive input and support.
      Thank you for all your kind words.

      Delete
  3. *Waving from southeastern Colorado* Lovely introduction, Sarah. Fire Star Press needs more blog love, interesting topics, and book excerpts all wrapped up with a bit of a peek into the blogger's world. Look at you go...you did all of them. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, you're like the Jedi Master when it comes to promotional skills, so I really appreciate that very positive assessment of my first blog here at Fire Star.
      I hope you're enjoying the weather there in Colorado. We're heading into some lovely Spring temperatures here in the Carolinas and I'm glad to see it.
      Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I'm always glad to see you.

      Delete