Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2019

8 WAYS TO SUPPORT A BOOK LAUNCH WITHOUT ACTUALLY GOING, by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer


I want to send a special thank you to the four people who attended our book launch last night. (Six, if you include the guys we brought to carry our books.) (Eight if you also include the people who work at the bookstore.)

I understand it was a rainy, stormy Portland night, the kind no one in their right mind wants to go out in, including me. 

I understand it was hosted by a small independent bookseller and not Powell’s or Barnes & Noble. 

I understand that Thursday night might not be the optimum time for an event. 

I understand that I’m not Margaret Atwood or even Cindy Brown. 

I understand that a cozy cat mystery is not the great American novel. 

I got all that, plus more, but here is what you should know, from my side. 

It took great time and effort to put me to that podium with my new book in hand. For the initial concept to become a story, then for that story to become a book, takes me over a year. Not that I resent it: I love to write and will do it with or without support from my peers. What I don’t really love is getting up in front of an audience. For days before my event, I’m anxious. I fret over what I’m going to say and wear. I spend a great deal of time on promotion, which is uncomfortable for me and feels a little like I’m invading people’s privacy, but it’s part of the job. I always enjoy my moments in the spotlight once I get there, but the lead-up is hard, and afterward, I’m exhausted for days. 

It’s okay if you can’t come to the launch, for whatever reason or none. What’s nice though is when people write a note, whether an email or a short post on the Facebook event page, just to say, “Hey, break a leg.” 

You are not expected to buy books! No one I know has enough money to buy every book that comes along, so unless you really want to read it, don’t bother. Your presence is more than enough. And if you are an ebook reader, it’ perfectly fine to take promotional material for later.

Artwork by Ms. Cat
 There are many ways to support an author with a new book besides coming to the launch: 

1.      Preorder the book. Preorders are counted toward first-week sales, so preordering can give a huge boost to a title. 

2.     Read it? Leave a review. Reviews are important. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy— “I liked it,” is enough. 

3.     “Like” the author’s Facebook Fan page. This is win-win, because you never know what tidbits you might pick up. For instance, I give cat tips on mine. 

4.     Request a copy from your library. Most libraries take suggestions from their clientele, just as most libraries do not take books directly from the author. 

5.     Pass it on. Instead of tossing the book into the Goodwill pile once you’ve read it, give it to a friend who you think might enjoy it, or leave it in a “Little Community Library” box, if you have those in your neighborhood. 

Here’s a sneaky one, but I like it!

6.     Face the book out at bookstores. Next time you see the book at a store, rearrange the shelf so the cover faces the aisle to make it much more noticeable. 

7.     Suggest the book to your book club.  Some authors give deals for book club sales. It never hurts to ask. 

And lastly:

8.     If you liked the book, tell the author. It may seem obvious, but it happens rarely. Few writers write to make money— it’s all about telling their story. To know that story has reached someone is the highest reward a writer can receive.


Check out more blogs by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer at:


Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. There can be nothing so dispiriting as an empty or near empty room on a cold evening, be it Portland USA, or Leicester in UK. I have to admit that it would be my nightmare even attending a launch, let alone reading. Maybe we should livestream these things from the comfort of a warm fireside seat with a cat on our lap?
    Good luck with the new cosy book, which we have given a 5* rating on Amazon and will be giving the same on Goodreads because it is right up there.
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I like the livestream idea. I'll look into that for next time.

      Delete
  2. You're a whole lot braver than I am. I have never had the courage to have a book signing to launch a new book. From what you went through I can certainly see why you're exhausted.
    Those are good pointers for supporting authors with a new release and I also like it when authors support one another by visiting and commenting on their posts even without a new release, but just because we should have each other's back. Promoting is tough on most of us so it's good to have our author friends come and comment or write a review.
    I like your intro: Crazy Cat Lady Mysteries. I wish I could write mysteries, but I haven't got that mystery writer vibe. I wish you continued success, Mollie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I really want people to understand there are other ways to support authors besides buying the books. You are right about authors supporting each other! I'm happy to announce I finally got my comment thing working again, so I will be able to do just that!

      Delete