Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2019

A New Phase of Life





May 2019 marks the beginning of a new phase of my life: retirement!


April 30th marked the end of an almost 34-year career with the same company. I have an IT batchelor's degree. My original plan was to be a programmer but that didn't pan out due to the problem of not being able to get a job in my chosen field due to lack of experience but I couldn't get any experience without a job. *facepalm* I began my career as a secretary, took a detour through the contracting department - definitely not the job for me - before finally landing a position in the IT department. Over time I found that I was good at helping people with their computer problems without making them feel like an idiot in the process. I had accidentally found my calling. The last 31 years of my career all involved some form of IT customer support.

I made the decision to retire last year but the countdown to the actual date has been far more emotional than I expected it to be. Although, when I really think about it, this is a major life change. I've been working, at least part-time, since I was 16 years old. Why wouldn't a change of this magnitude be emotional? I've shed a few tears, had a few anxiety attacks and doubts but I have run the numbers and I know that financially, we will be fine.

Over the years with my former company, I have known many other employees who have retired and they all seemed to fall firmly into two camps: those excited about retirement and those who dreaded it. It seemed that those dreading retirement were also those whose jobs defined them. They seemed a bit lost as to how to even begin to enjoy life without their job. I am in the group of those excited about this change. I can finally devote more time to my writing without trying to squeeze it all into an hour or two in the evenings. There are several other hobbies I'm interested in trying, not to mention that I'm looking forward to traveling with my husband.

Image courtesy of www.depositphotos.com


In short, there's a whole new life waiting for me and I can't wait to see what it holds!


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with all of your newfound free time. So happy for you, Isabella. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Isabelle, on taking the step to freedom!

    I enjoyed some aspects of my career as an acute care RN. I had a purpose and a need to help others which only that kind of career can bring. But there were many of things about it that wore my spirit away--and I wanted to be free to devote my time to the one thing I always wanted to do--write.

    I worked out how to financially take care of myself in retirement and set goals on how to transition into it. I paid off all my credit cards but one and closed those accounts. I also paid off my car and determined to keep the maintenance on Bubba up to date so I could depend on that Subaru Forester to make him last the rest of my life. That part is doing great. I wish I could have paid off my mortgage before I retired, but I did refinance for a lower interest rate and shorter term.

    For the first 2 years of retirement I woke up at 4:30 am just as I did my entire career to prepare for work. Every once in a while I miss the satisfaction that came from contributing to the lives of others that nursing use to bring me. Saving a life determined to knock on Heaven's Door is the most fulfilling feeling a person can have. I DO miss that.
    But I don't regret retiring. I write every day from 7am until 10am as if these were my office hours. It keeps me from procrastinating or losing my enthusiasm. It's true that the more you write, the more you love writing.

    So I hope you love your retirement as much as I do. I wish you the very best, Isabella. Enjoy your life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retirement is great. Sarah is right, one has to establish a writing routine because otherwise it's so easy to fritter away valuable writing time with all the wonderful things around us to lure us away from the computer (that's one of my downfalls, and FB itself is a (delightful) distraction. When you travel, take lots of pictures and notes and use that experience to color your stories. I remember years ago, Janet Dailey did this....they had an Airstream trailer and traveled America....her husband did the research and she set a story in each of the 50 U.S. states. She inspired me to do the same with my country, and so far I've visited every one of the places in my published and unpublished books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I read that about Janet Daley. She was one of my favorites. Did you know she passed away two or three years ago? We were in Branson, have seen her house on the lake from a cruise boat. They told us that year, Janet had passed away a couple of months ago.

      Delete
  4. I worked at a clothing factory for almost 3 decades. I loved working around people, but hated sitting in front of a sewing machine, doing the same thing second after second, day after day, and struggling to make production. Which was set too high except for those with long, nimble fingers.

    When our plant moved to Mexico, I took them up on the offer to pay for my college. I took legal courses because it was the only thing offered that mildly interested me. The college entrance test showed I was creative, but as the lady said, "We don't offer any creative courses here."

    So, after graduating 2 years later, I was hired and laid off by 4 different law firms over the following two years. That's when I decided to quit applying for legal assistant. Instead, I decided to follow my dream. I had always wanted to write, and had a 5th grade teacher who encouraged me.

    While reading a local magazine, I decided to write a story and submit. They published the story and I was on Cloud 9. The urge to keep writing stayed. I wrote 2 dozen stories over the next couple of years, submitting to various magazines. All were rejected, but I didn't give up.

    It was time to write my mother's life story. She gave me insight into her move to Chicago during the Great Depression, to find work. The second publisher I submitted to, asked for the rights.

    I have never regretted writing, but regret the years I wasted at a job I almost hated. But, I was stuck in it due to financial reasons, had a small child, and a spouse who found excuses not to find work.

    Enough of that. Lol. Isabella, I know you will enjoy this phase of your life more than any other. Get to writing, Girlfriend. By The Way, what genre(s) are you considering?

    ReplyDelete