Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2019

DNF


I've read several posts in various forums about how often other readers Do Not Finish, or DNF, a book. It has been quite an eye-opener for me. It takes a lot to make me add a book to my small DNF pile so it has been quite a surprise to find out how often - and how quickly - others do.

Many seem to decide within the first couple of pages if they are going to finish the book or not. I have to give it more time. Some books just get off to a slow start and I would have missed some really great reads if I'd given up in the first few pages. Other times, it takes me a while to get used to the author's voice and/or writing style before I can fully lose myself in their story.

Image courtesy of www.depositphotos.com

One of the last books I DNF'ed was a best-seller that even became a movie. I finally gave in and tried to read it and I just couldn't. For me, the whole tone of the book was very pretentious which annoyed the crap out of me. Even though I tried to finish, after a few chapters of rolling my eyes and yelling at the author I had to call it and move on to something else.

However, after only tossing the one book on my DNF pile over the last year, I've added two in the past two months. Whereas many will DNF a book based on a trope or something similar, I have now found the thing that is my DNF trigger: telling.

The discussion of "showing vs. telling" is a constant in the writing world. One of the most descriptive quotes is:

"Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." Anton Chekhov

I never realized I had such strong feelings on the topic until the two books I didn't finish. Both of them were just constant telling which quickly set my teeth on edge. "They got up. They went for a walk on the beach. They went to a cafe. They had lunch." *screams* Why did they pick that cafe? Did the couple hear their song drifting through the open door? Did the smell of pizza draw them in? Show me what they are seeing, hearing, feeling - don't just tell me.

What makes you not finish a book?


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join



4 comments:

  1. Fine question. I try to determine if I like a book or not in stages, call me shallow but first the cover has got to grab my attention. Then I read the blurb on the back or inside flap, then I take in the first couple of pages. If my interest isn't piqued by then I save my money. I've been fooled a couple of time. Lord of the Rings didn't grab me, but at a friends insistence I read on, and on, and on. Ya always hear that you have to grab the reader quickly, I'm one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of a cover snob myself. A horrible cover means I probably won't read the book. I know what you mean about The Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed the books but there was so much walking! Just get to the point (or the location) already!

      Delete
  2. I can get past a bad cover, but I do count on the blurb to catch my interest. I usually give it a couple of chapters, but that's it. I'm getting too old to waste my time reading something I don't enjoy. For 40 years, I read pretty much everything cover to cover, even if it wasn't my cup of tea.
    Now, my TBR list and my mortality don't match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb definitely has to catch my interest too. I don't know if I'll ever reach the point of giving up after a couple of chapters, LOL. I'm too afraid I might miss out on something wonderful!

      Delete