Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

What's in a Name?


Oddly enough, in this post about titles, I'm only slightly modifying the name of a title from a few months ago, What's in a (Pen) Name? Why? I couldn't come up with anything better. Oh, the irony.

I seem to be a rarity among authors - I love coming up with titles for my stories. I like titles that are descriptive, have a sense of humor, and maybe even a play on words or a double meaning.

An author attempting to select the name for her next book baby. (Image courtesy of depositphoto.com)



The short stories in my Paws and Effect contemporary romance series all have animal-related titles; to date The Purrfect Partner, and It's Meow or Never, with Something Whiskered This Way Comes, and Purranormal Activity in the works.

My Kudzu Korners sweet paranormal romances have titles based old movies/tv shows:

Dial V for Vampire (published by Fire Star Press in August 2016)

Saved by the Belle (published by Fire Star Press in August 2017)

Dances with Werewolves (in progress)

Still to come in the series:

Gone with the Grin

Beauty and the Zombie

Accounting and Old Lace

All Dogs go to Haven 

So what's the problem? I've decided I don't like the planned title for the 4th book, Gone with the Grin. It's supposed to be a play on the classic book/movie Gone with the Wind but somehow it just isn't working for me as well as all of the others. I'm still a few months away from beginning the book but I'm already in a bit of a panic. As strange as it may sound, I like to have the title in place before I begin work on the story. The harder I try to come up with a new and improved title, the more it seems to elude me. I know my brain is working on this problem all the time so hopefully one day soon it will surprise me with the perfect alternative.

Naming my children was much harder than titling books. But, when my youngest son's arrival was imminent, I decided I didn't like the name we had picked out for him. He was "considerate" enough to be two weeks late which gave us time to come up with a better name. If I (we) pulled that out in the clinch surely I can do it again with a book title. Right? Wish me luck!

Oh, and Happy Fall y'all!


Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

8 comments:

  1. Naming children was hard; for me, naming books is harder. Re naming children: My ex-husband and I argued for the entire pregnancy about names. In the end, I gave in on our daughter's name. When I got pregnant for the 2nd child, I really hoped it'd be a boy -- I wasn't having that argument again. I guess if he'd been a girl, I would have a daughter named Derek Lee. (I did go to church with a girl named Dericka Lee when I was in HS. I suppose that we could've gone with that name.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few arguments about names as well so you're not alone!

      Delete
  2. If you're wanting to use the "Gone", maybe something along the lines of Gone Girl. If you're wanting to use the "Grin", maybe something along the line of Picking and Grinning. As for naming kids, my discharge from the hospital with Ami was held up due to disagreement over her name. I had changed my mind and wanted Jennifer Ami. John wouldn't budge; he said we'd always said Ami Denise. Finally, out of desperation to go home, I surrendered. She's Ami Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not tied to using a knock off of "Gone with the Wind" for a title - it's actually one of my least favorite movies. I think I have another title selected but I want to be sure of it before I announce it.

      Delete
  3. I struggle with titles and am not apparently good at it. I give my manuscripts "working titles" such as "Bananas in space" or "Bass". Usually names that have absolutely nothing with the story, basically just holding a space in the header. My wife and I had no trouble naming the kids, both our families, traditionally, pass down family names. Book titles are my bane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swore that there would be no passing down of family names to our children. That tradition had already caused problem for another branch of the family. We did however accidentally give our oldest son a name that sounds similar to my husband's. If I called for my oldest son, my hubby would answer. If I called my hubby, my son would answer. Too bad I can't title your books for you!

      Delete
  4. I need to have my title before I begin my story.

    ReplyDelete