Search This Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2018

WRITING IS LIKE…, by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer





Google the phrase, “Writing is like…” and you get pages of insights from all across the board.

Writing is like building a bridge while you’re on it. Writing is like giving yourself homework. Writing is like a sport… prostitution… sex.

But what is writing really like to real writers, the ones who have been successful enough for us to know their names?

Today I am passing on the wisdom of others, fellows actually on the writing path.



 “If you are not a reader, don’t even think about writing.”  
~Jean Auel

“There is a certain degree of faith required in writing fiction… You have to take a deep breath, let go of your usual control, and then begin walking in the dark.”   
~Elizabeth Berg


 “Time enough to think and cut and rewrite tomorrow. But today- explode- fly apart- disintegrate. The other six or seven drafts are going to be pure torture. So why not enjoy the first draft in the hope that your joy will seek and find others in the world who, reading your story, will catch fire too?”   
~Ray Bradbury


 “Writing is like being in love. You never get better at it or learn more about it. The day you think you do is the day you lose it.”   
~James Lee Burke

“Two questions form the foundation of all novels: ‘What if?’ and ‘What next?’”   
~Tom Clancy


 “I never started a book that I expected to finish.”   
~Steven King

“You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”   
~Jack London

And a special favorite of mine:

“Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.”   
~Kurt Vonnegut


Do you have any favorite quotes about the writing path?


Check out more blogs by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer at:


Happy reading!






5 comments:

  1. Well Mollie, you may wonder what took me so long to get here to comment. I was inspired by your blog to go to Pinterest and find some writer quotes. You probably know what happened to me then--yep, got kinda deep into the research. You know how it is when a writer hears what the kindred have to say on a subject that is addictive. So, I apologize for being late, but I did find some quotes I could really relate to.
    Here is my favorite:
    "A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity." Frank Kafta
    Well that explains why some of us act a little crazy.

    "The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone." Martin Amos
    My family and tiny circle of friends can vouch for this one.

    And I think this one most of us can really relate to:
    "You know you're a writer when you have dozens of notebooks, some filled, some blank, but you can't stop buying more...just in case." Unknown
    I know that last one is true. I have stacks of notebooks filled and empty, and still buying. Do you think they have a 12 step recovery program for writers?

    Loved the blog, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, those are wonderful additions to the list, with a special nod to the collecting of notebooks. And no, I don't think there would be a 12-step program for writers since recovery is based on the desire to recover, and none of the writers I know want to change one bit.

      Delete
  2. Mollie,

    I have many favorite writing quotes, but my Number One is from Robert Heinlein. "Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many. Here are two of my favorites:

    “Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”
    ― Anton Chekhov

    “There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”
    ― Frank Herbert

    ReplyDelete