Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2018

KEEPING THE STORY STRAIGHT, by Mollie Hunt, cat writer


Writing fiction should be simple, right? After all, we’re just making it up as we go along.

Not really. As much as our story drives us, a writer needs to keep it within the realm of the believable, and nothing messes with believability as much as a mistake in continuity. Where we can be forgiven for taking our hero off to Mars in a pink, telepathic spaceship, we will be called out for switching out the breed of her cat.

It gets even more complex when writing a series. Yes, we really do have to remember Aunt Mae’s birthday is in September, that Joan’s favorite color is orange, and that the hero’s nemesis’ brother’s son (who only appeared briefly in book one) has a dog named Joe. These things are important, crucial even, because our readers remember details, sometimes consciously, sometimes subconsciously. Unless we want to risk pulling them out of the story (and losing them forever), we need to keep it straight.

There are probably as many ways to keep track of story specifics as there are authors. Besides the many organizational computer programs, there are paper and file folders, index cards, cork boards, white boards, and anything else that can form a list.  Here is what I do for my Crazy Cat Lady cozy mystery series:



Physical:
·       Vintage tray with notes I make on scraps of paper.
·       Plastic tray and file folders of things I’ll probably never look at again.
·       Cork board for same, only pretty.

Digital, general:
·       Excel and Word files on Desktop, in Documents, and hidden other places where I will never find them, should I remember to look.



Digital, working:
Some files I keep open all the time, referring and updating them constantly. When I finish the book, these get condensed or retired, but saved… forever.
·       Outline: This is not an outline in the usual sense but one I create as I write. In it, I note each chapter, page, characters, and a brief plot description. This is useful for finding things later. Plus it lets me tell people I really do work from an outline.
·       Cast of current characters: I have a master list of all characters wo have ever appeared in a story, but this one lists only the characters in the current book. It is broken down into 2 sections: New characters and recurring characters. This is also where I note features of important places such as Lynley’s house. When I finish the book, this info will be incorporated into the master list.
·       Notes: In this document, I make note of anything that comes to mind, from overused words to details I need to check in the previous books. Sometimes I get inspired, and the color-coding begins.
·       Lynley’s injuries and catastrophic incidents: Because the hero of my series is always hurting herself, I keep a list. I mean, how many times can a sixty-year-old cat shelter volunteer break her left arm and still have it come off convincingly?
·       Extra: It kills me to eliminate any text I’ve worked so hard to write, but it’s required. Some sentences are superfluous; some paragraphs misleading. I may need to switch things around. The extra file is where I paste everything I cut so I can get it back if I change my mind. I never do, but it makes me feel better to know nothing is lost. This file gets deleted once I finish the book and have forgotten what was so damned important about those snippets in the first place.



So though fiction may seem like it should write itself, the work and organization that goes into it makes the difference between creating chaos and a real, believable world. How important is detail? Just ask a Trekkie.

How do you keep your story straight?


*The lovely cover model is my foster cat Jenny, who is not such a great help when it comes to organization.

Check out more blogs by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer at:
Happy reading!







6 comments:

  1. Mollie,
    I make all my notes at the bottom of the "word" page I working on. As a result, when I finally type "THE END", and go to the word count, it'll say two hundred and twelve thousand words, but the story is only ninety five. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a spreadsheet of dates and events when the story is a long and involved one. Otherwise, I just jot notes on whatever paper is handy or I compile running notes in Notepad. As I incorporate the notes and scenes into the larger story, I throw the handwritten notes away or I delete the notation on Notepad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the deleting later where I fall down, Kaye. I have notes back from 1995!

      Delete
  3. Yours looks all very neat and organized, Mollie.
    I have a story board with pictures at my desk for inspiration. Because I write most of my work in long hand first, I have notebooks filled with bits of dialogue or scenes, research notes, and so on. I also write out character sketches in the notebook.
    I do use the computer for my outline though. You'd think I'd have all my Wildings characters organized on a computer document, but I don't. I have them all in a handwritten notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most important thing is that you have the information where you can find it when you need it. Somethings I remember just through the process of writing things down. I love the idea of a story board. That was the concept behind my cork boards, but then I began filling them up with other stuff.

      Delete