Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Island of Misfit Authors




‘Tis once again the season to deck the halls, brush off the old traditions, and maybe even start a few new ones. When I was a kid, it wasn’t Christmas without the annual viewing of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. To this day one of the things I remember most about Rudolph is the Island of Misfit Toys. Some part of me identified with those toys because I was a misfit too. I was painfully shy and, due to the makeup of my extended family, I was far more comfortable around adults than people my own age.

Image courtesy of www.123rf.com
 Over the years, I became more comfortable in my own skin. When I started writing, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had found my passion. Then, when I finally got brave enough (I still struggle with shyness) to meet with a local group of writers during NaNoWriMo, I knew I had found my people. They were just like me! These people knew what it was like to have a head practically bursting with stories. They understood how you can intensely dislike a character that you created. They also knew what it was like to have stories—and characters—take off in a completely different direction from what you intended. It was like magic.

As I joined professional organizations and took classes one piece of advice kept recurring—find others that write the same thing you do. Get to know them. Learn from them. Network. I tried. Really, I did. However, that’s when I discovered that once again, I’m a misfit.I joined one group only to discover that it was a bit… clique-ish. I had enough of that sort of thing in high school so I let my membership expire. I joined another group of sweet/clean writers only to learn that I couldn’t promote any of my work there because my first novel was sexy, not sweet. Strike Two. Finally I found another group of multi-genre authors that seemed to be a perfect fit… until the founder of the group got too busy to run it and it died a quiet death. *sigh*

I have written fantasy romance, contemporary romance, paranormal romance, and one genre-defying video-game themed romantic short story. My Kudzu Korners series is sweet, humorous, paranormal romance. I can find plenty of other authors who write humorous paranormal romance but their stories definitely aren’t sweet. I can’t help but think there are others like me but I have as yet to find them. Oh, well. Maybe someday. 

In the meantime, I’ll be over here on the Island of Misfit Authors waiting to find a home. Want to join me? Everyone is welcome!

Until next month, take care and Happy Holidays to you and yours!



Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join



8 comments:

  1. Isabella,

    I love the Island of Misfit Toys and the writing analogy. I was, and still am, a misfit. I've never been shy, buy I'm an introvert who needs alone time for everyone else's safety. *wink*

    I'll be glad to join you on your island.

    Happy Holidays to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome fellow misfit (and introvert)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Isabella, it my conviction that most writers are misfits and introverts. Writers have such empathy they get exhausted in the company of others--that is if you can pry them out of their houses in the first place.
    Our characters are our friends and we can be comfortable around them. Writing is sort of like a coping mechanism for us so we can bounce off the harsh realities of the world. That's my take any way.
    Got any openings on the Island of Misfit Authors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad there is more genre-crossing now than in the past. I am writing cat sci-fantasy fiction. There are a few great examples of this work, notably Shirley Rousseau Murphy's “Fontana Duology” and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough/Anne McCaffrey “Tale of Barque Cats” series, but not enough that people have a clue what I’m talking about when I describe my stories. Mainly I write cozy cat mysteries, which are a little better known. Isabella, may I come join you on the Isle of Misfit (and introvert) Authors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isabella, I love your stories. LOVE THEM. Sometimes being different makes us feel like 'misfits' but goodness, it's just another way of being creative, IMO. I feel that way so much with my stories sometimes--am I a western writer? Or a romance writer? Sometimes my romances are a bit "gritty", but may have too much romance for a strict "western" audience. I've agonized plenty over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. You're vote of confidence means a lot.

      Delete
  6. We Offer loan for just 2% Rate.


    Do you need a loan if yes please kindly contact: kivafinance@zoho.com Contact us with the following details and go ahead.

    Full name:
    Gender:
    Social status:
    Occupation:
    country:
    Contact Address:
    Monthly income:
    Loan required: Quantity
    Loan Period:
    phone number:
    The reason for the loan:

    ReplyDelete