Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

What's Next?


Last month I mentioned my plan to use National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November to pound out a rough draft for my first inspirational romance, Finding Faith. I guess the other story ideas in my head were listening in and at least one of them, Blood Lines (a fantasy romance), got jealous.

Like most writers I have dozens of story ideas swirling around in my brain. Not all ideas will become books. Some ideas have already been absorbed into other story lines, some just don't have enough substance - at least not yet - to make it on their own. Prioritizing what I plan to work on next has never really been an issue. I pick a project and work on it until completion making brief detours along the way to make notes on which ever story is threatening to hold is breath until it turns blue in order to get my attention. Recently, Blood Lines has become that whiny child. (Mommommommommom. Look at me mom! Dances with Werewolves is your favorite; you never pay me any attention.)

So now, instead of knowing what story I'm going to be working on next month I find myself staring at two very different story ideas that I love in different ways. The facts:

Finding Faith will be the first story in a three-book series.

Blood Lines is a stand-alone - at least for now. There is a minor character that may demand her own story at some point.

I suspect that Finding Faith and its sister books will be somewhat emotionally draining to write. These three books will have the most of "me" in them by far.

Blood Lines calls to me because of its sense of humor and pop culture references. It also has the type of cocky hero that always wins my heart in books and video games.

So now, at the last minute, I'm kind of changing my mind and leaning toward working on Blood Lines. The past couple of years have been an emotional roller coaster and I think it would be a blast - and maybe even a little healing - to write something that's just fun.

Image courtesy of www.123rf.com


Decisions, decisions. What do you think? Fellow writers, how do you choose your next project?



Sign up for my newsletter here:  http://madmimi.com/signups/112968/join

2 comments:

  1. Isabella,

    It never fails that stories I'm NOT working on invariably demand attention when I'm writing on something else. Your whiny child analogy is spot-on. These problem 'children' really should learn to wait their turns. *grin*

    I will be a National Novel Writing participant in November, too. This is year #9. The story (a western) I wrote last November was Part 1, so this year I'll write Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your NaNo novel Kay and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete