Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

What is Bouchercon?

For those not familiar with the term, “fan convention” or “con,” it is an event where fans of a specific type of entertainment gather to celebrate their common interest, and to socialize with each other and influential personalities or experts in the subject area.  As a kid, I became familiar with these cons because my father, author Bill Crider, would take the family along to mystery and sci-fi conventions that he attended.  Although I was not a formal participant in the conventions when I was young, I was able to soak in the excitement in the atmosphere and the fellowship of the participants.  A few of my fondest and indelible con memories include attending screenings at the AggieCon science fiction convention of Blade Runner and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension when they were first released in the early eighties, and seeing con guests running around sporting their Buckaroo Banzai bandanas.

At the posting of this article, I will be winging my way to Bouchercon in Toronto.  “What is Bouchercon?” you might ask.  Bouchercon is the annual World Mystery Convention for devotees of mystery and detective fiction (Li’l Tom will also be in attendance, of course).  The con is named after editor, reviewer, and author, Anthony Boucher.  The convention consists of many events such as auctions, banquets, the Anthony Awards for excellence in crime fiction, and panels of authors, experts, and aficionados who speak about different topics in mystery and crime fiction, scheduled all day each day.  This will be my third year to attend the con as an official registered attendee.  

Last year, when the con was held in New Orleans, I had the pleasure of moderating a panel.  It was called "Scooby Snacks" and the topic was "Mysteries with Critters."  


[Left to right:  Angela Crider Neary, Margaret Mizushima, Liz Mugavero, Glenn Eric Meganck/J.R. Ripley, Elena Hartwell, Janet Finsilver]


It was a wonderful experience in that I was introduced to five new authors and their works, got to read their books, and then meet them and ask them questions about their writing.

If you're interested in buying or selling books, you're in luck as there is an enormous "book room" housing most everything a mystery fan could want, including new releases as well as collectibles, first editions, vintage books, and more.


Another great thing about Bouchercon is that it is hosted in a different city each year, so you can combine some sightseeing in the local area with the con activities.  





[Bill Crider, Angela Crider Neary]





But the best thing about the convention is the people.  Thinking back, the authors and fans I've met at mystery and sci-fi conventions and others I know through my father are some of the kindest and caring people I have ever met.  I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but lucky for me, I have not run into any of these so far.  My experience at Bouchercon in Raleigh in October 2015 really brought this home for me.  I had recently had my first novella published, but was generally attending the convention as a mystery and crime novel fan.  Every single person I ran into was happy and seemed genuinely interested to meet me and hear about my book.  Maybe it was because we were all in our element and experiencing an event with those of like minds.  The camaraderie and festive atmosphere may have also contributed to that feeling of good will among the participants.  

Have you ever had the pleasure of attending a fan convention?  Which one?  If not, what are you waiting for?




Angela Crider Neary is an attorney by day and writer by night. She is an avid mystery reader and especially enjoys reading novels set in interesting locales. She was inspired to write her first mystery novella, Li'l Tom and the Pussyfoot Detective Bureau: The Case of the Parrots Desaparecidos, by one of her favorite areas in San Francisco, Telegraph Hill.  Stay tuned for her second book in the series, Li'l Tom and the Case of the New Year Dragon. To learn more, visit her on Facebook and Amazon.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I wonder if they will come to Portland OR or nearby sometime? I traveled from Portland to Myrtle Beach for the Cat Writers' Association Conference this year. Though on a much smallerscale than what you describe, it was still excellent to meet and mingle with fellow cat writers. Have a wonderful time, and tell your dad I'm a huge fan. (Not just of the VBKs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mollie! And I will tell Dad you said “hi.” I would love to attend the Cat Writers conference, myself!

      Delete
  2. Angela,

    In my first few years of being published, I did attend conventions, book signings at bookstores, and other reader events. Good times.

    But, for me, air travel has lost its appeal. I live 4 1/2 hours from the nearest airport, and the older I get the less interested I am in the hassle of flying.

    Bouchercon sounds like a fun venue with so many mystery writers getting together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean about travel! I spent the last several days stressing out about it. I live a couple of hours from the airport, so not as bad as your commute. I usually feel like it’s worth it once in get here, though!

      Delete
  3. I went to my first "con" this year, here in Oklahoma City. It was a Steampunk and SyFy Con. I was amazed at the lengths, and expense, some of the attendees went to with their costumes. I didn't know what to expect, or how to attand, really. There were a couple of lectures on how to write in the genera I wanted to hear, but learned that I should have reserved a spot a month out.
    I will go to another when I see one close by, and this time I'll make my reservations...though I likely will not dress up.

    ReplyDelete