Search This Blog

Friday, October 13, 2017

New Release for Friday 13th -- BAKER'S DEADLY DOZEN (A Fresh Baked Mystery Book 13) by Livia J. Washburn

Going back to school can be a killer!

Phyllis Newsom and Sam Fletcher come out of retirement to take substitute teacher jobs as a favor for some friends, but they soon realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same. That means getting up early, dealing with students and other teachers, and helping out with extracurricular activities. The problem is, for Phyllis, stumbling over dead bodies is an extracurricular activity!

When murder strikes at the school’s Friday the Thirteenth dance, it’s unlucky not only for the victim but also for the student who’s the prime suspect. Sam’s granddaughter has a crush on the boy and can’t believe he’s a killer. Neither can Phyllis. The police are convinced, though, so the only way Phyllis can help him is to uncover the true identity of the killer stalking the halls of the high school before it’s too late!

EXCERPT:


     The light downstairs went out before they reached the stairwell. Phyllis frowned. If Mr. McCracken was down there cleaning he should have been moving around enough to keep the light on. Unless he was inside one of the classrooms, then the light might have gone off, she reasoned.
     Then it came on again.
      Something about the way things were happening made a chill run down her back. She was at the top of the stairs now, so she stopped and called, “Mr. McCracken?”
     A strange sound came from below. It might have been a human groan. Ronnie exclaimed, “What was that?”
     The lights went off again.
     “Ronnie,” Phyllis said, “I’m starting to get the feeling that something is wrong. Go back to the cafeteria and find your grandfather.”
     “What are you going to do?” Ronnie gestured toward the stairs. “Go down there and see what it is we heard? It might be a . . . a monster!”
     “You don’t believe in monsters.”
     “Right now, I don’t disbelieve in them.”



     

16 comments:

  1. Livia, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Phyllis and Sam are such realistic characters--I was caught up in your tale from the first page to the very end. Another excellent tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. They're old friends now...kinda like us. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Livia! And on Friday the 13th too. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I thought I'd have a little fun with it.

      Delete
  3. This is the perfect day for a mystery release. I love the covers for the books in this series, Fresh Baked Mysteries. This new addition looks delicious. Are the books in this series age appropriate for teens?
    I want to wish you congratulations and all the best, Livia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I would think teens could read this series. Phyllis and Sam do have a romance going on, but it's sweet and in the background, not hot and heavy and in your face. Of course there are murders...

      Delete
  4. Looks like you have another winner here, Livia. Congratulations on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Livia, I'm so looking forward to reading this one. I loved the last chili cookoff and this one sounds just as terrific. Love the cover too for the whole series. I had preordered this and I look forward to reading this soooon. Wishing you much success with this one, and I agree this series is definitely for teens and us who are all young at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the line “Right now, I don’t disbelieve in them.” I just know this will be so much fun...and remind me of why I wasn't that fond of school dances. LOL. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School is hard. The kids battle to fit in, and the teachers battle to educate. I decided to have some fun with it.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like the perfect, fun read for Friday the 13th. Good recipes are always a wonderful bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great, Livia. I'm in France, surrounded by boulangeries and the smell of baguettes, so have a hankering for a Baker's Dozen. I'm ordering a copy!

    ReplyDelete