Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2017

CAT POETRY, by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer


Haiku by Cat, "Bit"

Last month  I told you about two new ways I’m expressing the writer part of me: Flash Fiction and Cat Poetry. In my previous blog, I discussed Flash Fiction; now let’s consider the second subject, Cat Poetry.

Like flash fiction, a successful poem needs to convey a story (or a feeling or a mood or an image) to the reader. The two forms of writing can be very similar, yet to me, the difference is huge. Poetry is easier than flash fiction. Where sitting down to pen flash fiction feels something akin to doing homework when it’s sunny out, composing poetry is as natural as breathing.

I began writing poems many years ago, long before I’d written or even imagined writing a book. Poetry was something that came to me, artwork in words. Once I’d begun listening to the poem muse, the writing of poems morphed into a sporadic yet integral part of my life.

From poetry to cat poetry was only a simple step, yet it was one I had never considered until I began to read the work of other cat poets. ( Marc-Andre of the Katzenworld blogsite has a weekly post dedicated to cat poetry. You can read my poem, Night Muse, here) The love of cats is so strong in me that the pictures flowed easily once I began to look.

Cat Poetry appears in all sorts of guises. There are haikus and limericks; sincere poems and funny ones; lamentations and harsh realities; scenes from the cat’s point of view and scenes of cats per the poet.

Cat poetry is nothing new. Many of the greats chose cats as their theme. William Butler Yeats wrote The Cat And The Moon;  Emily Dickinson wrote a sweet verse, She sights a Bird – she chuckles; T. S. Eliot is famous for his collection of whimsical poems, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (1939) that was adapted by Andrew Lloyd Webber for the musical, Cats; Margaret Atwood, the author of the current hit series, The Handmaiden’s Tale, wrote the poem, February, which may be about a cat and may be about sexual repression or overpopulation or the life principle (it’s Atwood, after all).

Here is the favorite of my cat poems so far:

Stray cat in Strasbourg


THE CAT WHO PASSES

The cat who passes by
Outside the window
Through the yard,
The long grass
That I do not cut,
The wild weeds that I do not pull.
He weaves like a tabby tiger,
Slinks shadowlike with the ease of air,
So beautiful in his ferality.
He claims his territory
With his scent and his spray,
And levels his yellow glare
At me through the window.
Defiant, daring.
The slightest twitch and he will be gone.
He is a wild one, this cat who passes by.



Have you read or written cat poetry?


Check out more by Mollie Hunt, Cat Writer at:
Happy reading!





4 comments:

  1. Mollie, I love this post, and though I've never written cat poetry, I love to read what you wrote! As a kid/teenager, I wrote a LOT of poetry. Don't know why I got out of the habit, but I've always loved poetry. Great images you used, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Inever thought of my poetry as "real" writing, but the cat poems are taking on a life of their own. Thanks to the internet for the images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl Sandberg wrote, "The fog crept in on little cat feet." I've remembered that forever. A kind of cat poem.

    ReplyDelete